You are here: PSPad forum > English discussion forum > PSPad 5.0 future

PSPad 5.0 future

Goto Page: Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next

#11 Re: PSPad 5.0 future

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2017-02-24 12:37 | IP: IP Logged

New encoding handling in PSPad:

1. there will be new main menu item ENCODING after Format menu, Code pages from menu Format will be removed. I don't think so it's necessary to localize Code page menu items (English)
2. Initial content will be very similar to Total Commander preview encoding offer - I guess it's content comes from years of user experiences, so why don't inspire
3. There will be possibility to edit content of menu - you will be able to build own content
4. Ctrl+Click in this menu will mark menu item as "favorite" (if you don't do it in CP menu editor)
5. Marked menu will appear in popup menu on statusbar codepage name click

Do you think it's enough user friendly?
Current functionality will stay - PSPad will automatically detect UTF-16, UTF-8 (BOM/noBom). If content will came from ANSI and will be open with wrong CP, you will choose correct one from menu and Reopen (Ctrl+R) file

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-24 12:38 by pspad.

Options: Reply | Quote | Up ^

#12 Re: PSPad 5.0 future

Posted by: AD7 | Date: 2017-02-24 16:06 | IP: IP Logged

Sounds great.

#13 Re: PSPad 5.0 future

Posted by: AD7 | Date: 2017-02-24 16:18 | IP: IP Logged

Do you plan release some Alpha/Beta public releases?

Until some screenshots, or even animated GIFs shall be fine.. smiling smiley

#14 Re: PSPad 5.0 future

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2017-02-24 17:41 | IP: IP Logged

Yes, I will release any build as soon as possible. I am already use it to find problems.
Just now doesn't work:
- scripting
- command line output (catching compilers e.t.c.)

What is necessary to do:
- encoding menu editor

If you want to take a look, here is current build 5.0.0 (60):
pspad.poradna.net

#15 Re: PSPad 5.0 future

Posted by: khagaroth | Date: 2017-02-24 20:54 | IP: IP Logged

pspad:
I guess it's content comes from years of user experiences, so why don't inspire

Actually, it was put there in one version by the author, the end. No discussion about it, no usability review, nada. And it isn't really that functional either, especially the "enter code page manually" entry is a PITA to use since you have to hunt down the code page number yourself in the lis of installed locales in windows control panel (which is btw impossible in Windows 10, since it doesn't show the codepage anymore, yay).

Something like this:
Encoding
------------
ANSI
OEM
UTF-8
UTF-8 (BOM)
UTF-16LE
UTF16-BE
------------
Encoding 1
Encoding 2
Encoding 3
Encoding 4
Encoding 5
------------
Other >
------------

would be much better. (Encoding 1 ... Encoding 5 would be the 5 most used encodings.)

#16 Re: PSPad 5.0 future

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2017-02-25 01:38 | IP: IP Logged

I wrote the encoding menu will be customizabla. You can delete or add codepages you want. For me is better to have there smething than empty slots.

#17 Re: PSPad 5.0 future

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2017-02-26 09:26 | IP: IP Logged

New file type plugin. I was forced to ea sier filetype plugins to prevent create 32b and 64b version of plugin DLL.
Plugins will be now in form of EXE with 3 parameters:
-L/-S (load using plugin / save using plugin)
input file
output file
I allows you to use one plugin for 32 and 64 bits PSPad version. And for most of people it will be much easier than create 2 versions of DLL.

PSPad will run exe plugin with parameters.
If you load using plugin, input file will exists and plugin will transform it into output file which is finnaly open with PSPad.
If you save file with plugins, PSPad will create temporary input file for plugin, plugin will transform it and save into final output file.

CP autodetection
I develop new version of CP autodetection which can be usable not only for Czech CP set.
Just now PSPad is quit successful to open general ANSI file with correct encoding.
To add new CP for detection I need some bigger sample of text only and it's thing of few seconds. It allows me to make it user configurable in future without any user knowledges. User needs to know code page and have some text sample (50kB and more to be enough representative).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-26 09:39 by pspad.

#18 Re: PSPad 5.0 future

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2017-02-28 19:22 | IP: IP Logged

CP menu customization:
In the menu will be some default CP list.
On the bottom of menu will be item "Modify..."
It will open form, where you can select own set of CP you want from 142 CP supported.
You will be able to change order of CP in menu.

CP autodetection will work independently of selected CP. It measn even you will don't choose Chinese, PSPad will autodetect Chinese ANSI charset.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-01 07:08 by pspad.

#19 Re: PSPad 5.0 future

Posted by: aGerman | Date: 2017-02-28 23:25 | IP: IP Logged

That sounds quite good to me smiling smiley
Will there be any possibility for the user to reload the file using another code page in case PSPad "guessed" the wrong encoding?

There is a typo in the code page menue of your linked preliminary version. If you choose "UTF16LE (1251)" you will save the file using Big Endian byte order (where CP 1251 actually belongs to). Same for the BE menu item.

FWIW It seems that the issue with Surrogates in file names (that I reported in January) was automatically resolved with version 5 smiling smiley

Thanks for your efforts to continuously improve PSPad!

Steffen

#20 Re: PSPad 5.0 future

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2017-03-01 05:09 | IP: IP Logged

Of course you will have possibility to reopen file in another code page. The ida stays same as in current PSPad - choose another CP from menu and reopen file.
If Save file state option is enabled, PSPad will remember used code page.

Autodetection is optional, you can switch it directly in Encoding menu

Goto Page: Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next

Editor PSPad - freeware editor, © 2001 - 2024 Jan Fiala, Hosted by Webhosting TOJEONO.CZ, design by WebDesign PAY & SOFT, code Petr Dvořák, Privacy policy and GDPR