You are here: PSPad forum > English discussion forum > Hex edit mode doesn't work anymore correct

Hex edit mode doesn't work anymore correct

#1 Hex edit mode doesn't work anymore correct

Posted by: Ruud | Date: 2016-01-31 20:36 | IP: IP Logged

Hello,

I use PSPad a lot to have a look at the contents binaries like ROMs. So far that worked out fine until a few hours ago; the size of a self created binary was, according PSPad in hexview, bigger than its real size. Not knowing where things went wrong, I replaced blocks containing FF with numbers. All numbers showed up where they belonged except 0A. Instead of 0A0A 0A0A 0A0A I saw 0D0A 0D0A 0D0A 0D0A 0D0A 0D0A.
As check I created a binary containing ten 0As. Now I saw ten $0As but preceeded by EFBB BF. AT yet another test I noticed that any 0D was replaced by 0D0A as well.

What is going on? It is possible that I changed a setting but which one?

Thanks for any help!

Kind regards, Ruud Baltissen

Options: Reply | Quote | Up ^

#2 Re: Hex edit mode doesn't work anymore correct

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2016-02-01 06:34 | IP: IP Logged

Hex editot in PSpad has 2 modes - direct edit file in hexeditor for binary files and switch from text mode to binary mode.
Open your binary files directly in PSPad hex editor.

#3 Re: Hex edit mode doesn't work anymore correct

Posted by: Ruud | Date: 2016-02-01 07:36 | IP: IP Logged

The weird thing is: I use PSPad for years and opened binary files by dropping them into PSPad. That worked fine until yesterday evening.

I solved my problem by deleting the directory with PSPad and restoring a recent back-up. Then I noticed that with opening that particular project the problem returned as well. Weird thing: before opening that particular project things worked fine in another project. After opening that particular project it didn't work here any more as well. So I restored the directory again, deleted the project, created a new one and things worked fine.

I noticed that I could switch on the 'Hex Edit Mode' under view but the troubles appeared when choosing this mode. After reading your remark I noticed that, looking at the BIN file, the 'Hex Edit Mode' was grayed out. I never noticed before (and never had the need to).

The HELP gave me some more hints and I will act accordingly next time I get in these kind of troubles.

Thank you for your help!

#4 Re: Hex edit mode doesn't work anymore correct

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2016-02-01 08:04 | IP: IP Logged

PSPad has binary file detection to prevent open binary file as text.
Open program settings / Direct edit button and ensure of settings AutodetectBinary=1

Editor PSPad - freeware editor, © 2001 - 2024 Jan Fiala, Hosted by Webhosting TOJEONO.CZ, design by WebDesign PAY & SOFT, code Petr Dvořák, Privacy policy and GDPR