Posted by: antuk | Date: 2015-11-03 09:14 | IP: IP Logged
I'm running 4.6.1 (2703) and I have real tabs enabled under Settings > Program Settings > Editor part 2 but every time I restart the program and I tab I still get ........ instead of >> with tabs turned on. If I go into Settings > Prog .. and click OK then it will store the setting until I restart the program. I am using PHP as the programming language.
Posted by: pspad | Date: 2015-11-03 14:19 | IP: IP Logged
Please ensure that you don't install PSPad as portable. No application has rights to write into Program files folder.
You have 2 ways how to fix it:
1. Run PSPad installer again and uncheck option "Portable application" during setup.
2. Run PSPad as administrator (use right mouse) to elevate PSpad rights, go to Program settings/System and check Multiuser environment
Your previous setting will be preserverd.
Posted by: meloniq | Date: 2015-11-16 13:12 | IP: IP Logged
Same problem here... It seems like not a permissions issue, tried both modes (single and multiuser environment), settings in both saving correctly, when I open settings, the 'real tabs' value is set, but it's not working till I click OK button...
For more fun, in my case it is not only about program restarts, it's about every opened file, scenario:
1. Open file in PSPad via right click context menu - real tabs not working
- I forgot to try, to open file from program menu (if it makes difference)
- PSPad installed, not portable version
2. Go to settings and just click OK without changing anything - real tabs working for previously opened file
- tested on rev. 2700 and 2703
- real tabs was set in settings earlier, and are still checked there
3. Open another file without closing previous - real tabs not working in newly opened file, but what's funny, real tabs working in the previously opened file
Temporarily reverted install to version 2.5.9 (2600) to be able to work normally
Posted by: pspad | Date: 2015-11-16 13:30 | IP: IP Logged
Version 4.6.0 brings possibility to set Real tab and soft tabs individually for each highlighter.
Have you tried the latest build 4.6.1 from PSPad developer forum?
Posted by: lpatrick | Date: 2015-11-29 09:44 | IP: IP Logged
I'm facing the same problem and as the original poster, I'm using the latest 4.6.1 (2703) build also.
I set Tab Width and Real Tabs individually in Highlighter Settings for PHP and XHTML.
I even tried adding manually HLRealTabs=1 and HLTabWidth=4 in Direct Edit for Multi because I have HTML Multihighlighter (XHTML) enabled for PHP but still the same problem when editing existing files.
New files seem to be OK. If I then save that new file, close PSPad completely and open it again and put a tab before any previously entered tabs, I get spaces (seems somewhat the opposite of what melonig wrote).
The issues mentioned above by other posters are just a few of the issues I have with real tabs (IF they're working after possibly going into settings again).
- When you Tab at the end of the line, then write something, the empty space is filled with spaces, not tabs.
- A rectangular copy/cut/paste containing an unequal number of tab characters completely messes up the result (sometimes even with loss of data).
- When you start a new line, the cursor correctly indents with the previous; when you start typing, the indent white space is correctly filled with tabs but if you would paste something there, the indent white space is filled with spaces.
- With option Scroll past EOL and EOF active, and you paste something at the end of an existing line, the cursor positions itself a number of positions after the currently pasted code. I think it tries to figure out it's position but forgets that the leading white space are tabs instead of spaces (for the existing line). It's a bit of a pain because I always start typing immediately after pasting and ...
- With option Show vertical line on cursor position, the line shows at position 2 when I'm with 2 tabs on position 8.
I know it's a lot in one go and you could ask 'Why use tabs in the first place' but using spaces quadruples the size of all white space to send to the browser and I don't use jslint or something.
Whether you decide to solve any of these issues is of course up to you; I still remain very grateful for all the work you do on this great editor.
Thank you, Jan!
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-29 09:48 by lpatrick.
Posted by: eMLic | Date: 2015-12-21 17:17 | IP: IP Logged
If you uncheck 'Trim trailing spaces' in 'Program Settings' -> 'Editor (part 1)', the 'Real Tabs' are working perfect.
Posted by: ucavus | Date: 2016-01-06 08:01 | IP: IP Logged
I'm getting the same issue in 4.6.0 and I don't have trim trailing spaces checked, either.
Switching to a new tab, using a code snippet, almost anything switches from real tabs mode back to spaces mode. If I open the Program Settings dialogue, the Real Tabs checkbox is still checked, and resaving the preference and returning to the editor resolves it for the current file, temporarily.
It's driving me mad.
Posted by: ucavus | Date: 2016-01-12 01:08 | IP: IP Logged
I can reliably reproduce this by switching to any syntax other than the multi-highlighter and then back to multi, even after re-saving settings to work around it.
Posted by: pspad | Date: 2016-01-12 08:43 | IP: IP Logged
ucavus:I can reliably reproduce this by switching to any syntax other than the multi-highlighter and then back to multi, even after re-saving settings to work around it.
Thank you very much for this note. You are right, multihighlighter causes problem. I will fix it.
Posted by: pspad | Date: 2016-01-12 10:12 | IP: IP Logged
It should be fixed in the current 4.6.1 (2707) build. Available in the developer forum.
I will be glad if somebody can confirm it.