You are here: PSPad forum > English discussion forum > Re: Tool Panel question

Re: Tool Panel question

#1 Tool Panel question

Posted by: Balok | Date: 2015-05-12 16:34 | IP: IP Logged

I'd like the default action when I double click a file in the tool panel (in a project) to be "open in PSPad" and not open in Windows' registered application for that file type. Can I do that? A few searches of this forum and the Help that comes with PSPad haven't answered my question. I also poked around in the 'PSPad editor' directory for a configuration file and checked Settings -> Program Settings. If this is there, I've missed it.

Thanks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-12 16:35 by Balok.

Options: Reply | Quote | Up ^

#2 Re: Tool Panel question

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2015-05-12 16:59 | IP: IP Logged

Is it source code? Add file extension to the proper highligher (Highlighter settings)
Or register this file for PSPad (Program settings / Registered file type)

#3 Re: Tool Panel question

Posted by: carbonize | Date: 2015-05-12 18:57 | IP: IP Logged

The way PSPad works is you have to drag the file from the explorer to the edit section.

--
Carbonize

#4 Re: Tool Panel question

Posted by: Andreas | Date: 2015-05-12 19:30 | IP: IP Logged

carbonize:
The way PSPad works is you have to drag the file from the explorer to the edit section.

Mostly I open files with double click on file, sometimes with right click on file "open with pspad", seldom with drag and drop.

#5 Re: Tool Panel question

Posted by: carbonize | Date: 2015-05-12 21:29 | IP: IP Logged

This is exactly how I work but I do not want to associate PHP files with anything as I have PSPad set up as portable. Since you are already in PSPad when using the inbuilt explorer it is simple enough to drag across.

--
Carbonize

#6 Re: Tool Panel question

Posted by: Balok | Date: 2015-05-16 17:42 | IP: IP Logged

Thanks for the answers.

I was using the project manager (? - the leftmost tab; it has a blue box on it), and dragging doesn't work there - it drags the file name into tab has the focus. Doing this from the explorer does work.

The files in question are registered (in the Windows sense) to the application that uses them, which is a kind of interpreter, but because they're code it delegates editing to an external application - PSPad. So double-clicking starts a new instance of the application, which delegates to... a new tab in PSPad. I was looking to avoid that middle step. In addition, sometimes I need to edit a file the application would prefer to open and run.

An option to make opening a file in the project manager default to PSPad would be helpful to me. Is there a way to request that option? I made the project to collect the files I expect to edit in PSPad for easy location.

(This particular application has a number of different kinds of source files, and they use different syntax - I've made three syntax highlighting files for it so far.)

#7 Re: Tool Panel question

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2015-05-16 17:51 | IP: IP Logged

How PSPad open files from Project:
if file extension exists in any highlighter, PSpad directly opens the file
if file extension isn't found in highlighters, PSPad open file in Windows default application

What is the extension and language of file you want to open?

#8 Re: Tool Panel question

Posted by: Balok | Date: 2015-05-17 01:18 | IP: IP Logged

The extension is .prefs, the language inside is similar to what Windows used for .INI files. I can solve the problem by adding the extension to those which use the INI template.

#9 Re: Tool Panel question

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2015-05-17 03:03 | IP: IP Logged

Exactly

Editor PSPad - freeware editor, © 2001 - 2024 Jan Fiala, Hosted by Webhosting TOJEONO.CZ, design by WebDesign PAY & SOFT, code Petr Dvořák, Privacy policy and GDPR