You are here: PSPad forum > English discussion forum > Re: How to make PSPad check if the open file is changed

Re: How to make PSPad check if the open file is changed

#1 How to make PSPad check if the open file is changed

Posted by: therium | Date: 2015-02-24 12:49 | IP: IP Logged

Thank you for wonderful software! I have already donated to you.

Win 7 and PSPad 4.5.8 (2482).

When I'm editing a program.pl, I have another external program (call it update.pl) that copies my program from a test directory to a production directory, and update.pl updates a single variable in my program.pl. However, PSPad does not always detect that the edited program.pl has been changed by update.pl.

Where is this setting and how can I make sure PSPad checks more often if the open file program.pl has been updated by an external application?

Thank you.

Options: Reply | Quote | Up ^

#2 Re: How to make PSPad check if the open file is changed

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2015-02-24 12:53 | IP: IP Logged

PSPad check is initiated by become active window.
File change is detected as combination of file length and file time (one of it).

#3 Re: How to make PSPad check if the open file is changed

Posted by: therium | Date: 2015-02-24 18:32 | IP: IP Logged

Thank you.

#4 Re: How to make PSPad check if the open file is changed

Posted by: MadCompie | Date: 2015-03-27 10:16 | IP: IP Logged

Should it also be possible to mark the changed source?
When I directly change a text in PSP the tab contains a red indicator.
But when externally changed, there is no indication?

#5 Re: How to make PSPad check if the open file is changed

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2015-03-27 10:56 | IP: IP Logged

No, but when you return to PSPad, PSPad will detect change and offer you load the current content.
Checking all open files in realtime can slow down all, epsecially on slow network drives.

#6 Re: How to make PSPad check if the open file is changed

Posted by: MadCompie | Date: 2015-03-30 10:59 | IP: IP Logged

The change detection works fine (!) but let's say 10 files are open in PSP.
Suppose 1 is changed in an external program : PSP offers me the possibilty to take over the changes. After aplying, I think the source should be indicated as changed because the file itself is not saved, only the changes were pasted? Otherwise I can't really determine the changed source between the other files...

#7 Re: How to make PSPad check if the open file is changed

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2015-03-30 12:09 | IP: IP Logged

No. PSPad inform you that some file was changed if you want to load current version. If you agree, PSPad will reload current version of document so all your changes in usaved document are lost.

#8 Re: How to make PSPad check if the open file is changed

Posted by: Steve | Date: 2015-04-04 16:49 | IP: IP Logged

Hello,

When pspad inform you that the file as changed and propose to reload it, do not do that, and choose to compare current edited version with content on disk (so modified version).

Doing that it is simple to note the differences betweens the two versions, and to determine what to do : the two versions are available at same time in diff window.

At end you can choose to reload modified version in pspad (and cancel your modifications), or manually include modifications made on disk version into your current version, for example.

In addition, as long you don't reload modified version in pspad, the tool will remind you that the file has been updated on disk each time you click on an other window and reclick in pspad, so it is impossible to forget that a more recent version of file exist on disk.

Other tip : open diff window (displaying differences between your current version and version present on disk) and let it open. At any moment it's easy to refresh this view to see if/where the (new) differences are present.

(and sorry for my poor english ;) )

#9 Re: How to make PSPad check if the open file is changed

Posted by: MadCompie | Date: 2015-04-15 19:02 | IP: IP Logged

I forgot to mention that my files are opened thru FTP.
So, after doing a diff (I use DiffMerge), PSP asks me if
I want to take over the changes.
This is a good thing, but because I opened the file with FTP, the file with the changes is not the file on FTP but a temporary file in my Windows temp folder.
Only when I press Ctrl+S (SAVE), the file with the changes will be saved to FTP!
I believe PSP does not show the indication that the contents are changed because the temporary file is saved!
Could it be possible to display the notification until the file is really saved to FTP? (don't know if this is technically possible in an easy way...)

Editor PSPad - freeware editor, © 2001 - 2024 Jan Fiala, Hosted by Webhosting TOJEONO.CZ, design by WebDesign PAY & SOFT, code Petr Dvořák, Privacy policy and GDPR