You are here: PSPad forum > English discussion forum > How to permanently change "Open" sort order

How to permanently change "Open" sort order

#1 How to permanently change "Open" sort order

Posted by: bxle | Date: 2015-02-11 18:32 | IP: IP Logged

Recently I changed the order in which files are listed when I do an Open from its original default (alphabetical) to most-recently-updated. Now I find that was a permanent change! Every time I do an Open, I have to click on View Menu, Details, and Name to see the alphabetical sort. How can I permanently change it back to alphabetical?

Options: Reply | Quote | Up ^

#2 Re: How to permanently change "Open" sort order

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2015-02-11 18:55 | IP: IP Logged

This isn't PSPad behavior, but Windows Open Dialog behavior.
Click with right mouse in Open gialog space, select Sort and choose what you want.
Or display details in item list and click on the file name title to sort items alphabetically

#3 Re: How to permanently change "Open" sort order

Posted by: bxle | Date: 2015-02-12 08:18 | IP: IP Logged

Thanks for your reply. Your suggestions work, but they are not permanent; I have to repeat them every time I open a file in PSPad.

However, I can see that it might be a Windows issue, so it is not your problem.

#4 Re: How to permanently change "Open" sort order

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2015-02-12 08:30 | IP: IP Logged

Windows remembers setting for any application.

Have you tried to display details? In this case you will see title before all columns and clicking on the title you can change sort order

#5 Re: How to permanently change "Open" sort order

Posted by: myf | Date: 2015-02-12 19:23 | IP: IP Logged

It seems you accidentally changed your default sort order of explorer.

Try opening explorer, navigating somewhere, eg content of C:\ setting your prefered sort order (name) and closing window with the X button while holding the CTRL key. This should make that sort setting default, but might not work for folders remembering different manual sort order (I'm not sure).

See this howto for more info. Some says that restart is needed also. And/or google for `windows explorer default sort order`.

#6 Re: How to permanently change "Open" sort order

Posted by: bxle | Date: 2015-02-13 01:34 | IP: IP Logged

I followed your advice and told Windows XP Explorer to apply the sort-by-name setting to all folders. I think that restored it. (Feeling kind of stupid!)

Thanks a lot, folks!

Editor PSPad - freeware editor, © 2001 - 2024 Jan Fiala, Hosted by Webhosting TOJEONO.CZ, design by WebDesign PAY & SOFT, code Petr Dvořák, Privacy policy and GDPR