You are here: PSPad forum > English discussion forum > Re: Highlighting "word selection" for all occurrences in a file

Re: Highlighting "word selection" for all occurrences in a file

#1 Highlighting "word selection" for all occurrences in a file

Posted by: alsakali | Date: 2014-11-26 08:22 | IP: IP Logged

Hi everyone,
I apologize for my English, but I am an Italian man.

My issue is concerned with the feature wrote in the Subject Topic.
In the past I used the "NotePad" Editor, which highlight all occurrences of a word selected in a file edited. This is usefull to find the occurrences of a word in a file with a lot of rows.
It is possible to do the same in PSPad Editor and, if any, how can I do it ?

Thx for all answers. smiling smiley

Options: Reply | Quote | Up ^

#2 Re: Highlighting "word selection" for all occurrences in a file

Posted by: sasumner | Date: 2014-11-26 12:36 | IP: IP Logged

I don't believe this capability currently exists in PSPad.

However, I consider this a great feature and is one that exists in the editor I switched from when I started using PSPad. In the "MultiEdit" editor, this feature is called "Global Expression Highlight" and works as follows:

"Global Expression Highlight..." is invoked from the Search menu (or via hotkey). A dialog shows allowing entry of the text to "highlight" and 3 options (regular expressions, case sensitive, prompted search mode). There are also buttons "Search" and "Reset".

The "Search" button causes the literal-text (or regex-matched-text if the regex option is checked) to be highlighted in the editor window(s). "Reset" turns off any highlighting that is on.

Pressing "Search" causes the dialog to be closed. Checking the option for "prompted search mode" keeps the dialog open and modeless to allow quick changes to the text/regex to be highlighted.

That's it! Simple to describe but maybe not so simple to implement. It would be an awesome feature. grinning smiley

#3 Re: Highlighting "word selection" for all occurrences in a file

Posted by: Andreas | Date: 2014-11-26 14:52 | IP: IP Logged

Yes, it would be a nice feature. This features gets requested also in other threads in this forum.

Editor PSPad - freeware editor, © 2001 - 2024 Jan Fiala, Hosted by Webhosting TOJEONO.CZ, design by WebDesign PAY & SOFT, code Petr Dvořák, Privacy policy and GDPR