You are here: PSPad forum > English discussion forum > Re: "Sort File Tabs Alphabetically" is transient

Re: "Sort File Tabs Alphabetically" is transient

#1 "Sort File Tabs Alphabetically" is transient

Posted by: Mr_Sheesh | Date: 2014-07-09 02:53 | IP: IP Logged

I like having the file tabs in Alphabetical order, so I have used the "sort file tabs alphabetically" right click (on the file name tabs) menu option - Unfortunately, despite saving all tabs as my default project etc., (even while the same session of PSPad is still running, plus of course when it is re-started) my tabs get scrambled again, sooner or later.

So, I thought I'd ask; Is there a way to either "Lock this on" (so the tabs are always in alphabetical order), or to set things up somehow so that the project has the file names in alpha order, to just keep them in order? (I've tried re-saving the project to re-order the tabs, has not worked.) 23 tabs, I use one tab per subject / concept so I can keep organized somewhat smiling smiley And more tabs coming probably.

Thank you.

Options: Reply | Quote | Up ^

#2 Re: "Sort File Tabs Alphabetically" is transient

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2014-07-09 03:32 | IP: IP Logged

there is no option to keep tabs sorted Alphabetical order. You wrote you use project. there is no needs to keep all files as tabs. close them and use only tabs for files you are editing. you can every time open it from your project

#3 Re: "Sort File Tabs Alphabetically" is transient

Posted by: Mr_Sheesh | Date: 2014-07-12 06:32 | IP: IP Logged

I guess I'll just leave them all open and resort them as needed, thank you though smiling smiley

#4 Re: "Sort File Tabs Alphabetically" is transient

Posted by: gwinkless | Date: 2014-08-11 14:38 | IP: IP Logged

pspad:
there is no option to keep tabs sorted Alphabetical order. You wrote you use project. there is no needs to keep all files as tabs. close them and use only tabs for files you are editing. you can every time open it from your project

For what it's worth, I would really appreciate having an option to keep the tabs sorted. I already use the project to keep files in order but

a) closing a file loses undo history for that file
b) finding a file in a large project of 200 folders and 1000 files can take a very long time
c) having to remember which files I was editing can get very confusing

I frequently have 30 or 40 files open at a time in any one project, having them automatically sorted would be really helpful.

#5 Re: "Sort File Tabs Alphabetically" is transient

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2014-08-11 15:16 | IP: IP Logged

Did you noticed the last tab on the left panel? There is list of the open files, alphabetically sorted.

#6 Re: "Sort File Tabs Alphabetically" is transient

Posted by: gwinkless | Date: 2014-08-11 15:52 | IP: IP Logged

pspad:
Did you noticed the last tab on the left panel? There is list of the open files, alphabetically sorted.

I did not; however I can't display it and the project list at the same time, so I would need several mouse clicks to get to the right place, which from a UI perspective is a bit poor, especially since we already have a list (tab set!) of files at the top of the screen.

I don't really care enough to argue about it. The number of times I need to search for files mid-edit is becoming lower since I started using EzCTags anyway, I was just explaining why I find a sorted tab list useful.

Please don't take my notes as criticism, I'm happy just to have an editor that works quickly and (due to the project functionality and now especially using EzCTags) fits my workflow, so thanks for all your efforts.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-11 15:53 by gwinkless.

#7 Re: "Sort File Tabs Alphabetically" is transient

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2014-08-11 16:08 | IP: IP Logged

You can display it together.
Drag the tab from the left panel and drop it in the right side of PSPad

Editor PSPad - freeware editor, © 2001 - 2024 Jan Fiala, Hosted by Webhosting TOJEONO.CZ, design by WebDesign PAY & SOFT, code Petr Dvořák, Privacy policy and GDPR