You are here: PSPad forum > English discussion forum > Re: Automatically replace a tab with 4 spaces

Re: Automatically replace a tab with 4 spaces

#1 Automatically replace a tab with 4 spaces

Posted by: kropotkin | Date: 2014-03-28 12:32 | IP: IP Logged

Hi

I would like to have PsPad automatically replace a tab with 4 spaces.

I am in Settings... Program Settings.... Editor (part 2).

I have set:

Real Tabs - unticked
Smart Tabs - unticked
Tab Width: 4

However when I am in a document and press the tab key I get a tab. Not 4 spaces.

Ps Pad 4.5.7
Windows 8.1

Thanks

--Justin Wyllie

Options: Reply | Quote | Up ^

#2 Re: Automatically replace a tab with 4 spaces

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2014-03-30 13:08 | IP: IP Logged

Are you sure your settings was stored?
I tested it but I am not able to simulate it. The important option for you is Real tabs option.
If this option is unchecked, PSPad inserts spaces.

#3 Re: Automatically replace a tab with 4 spaces

Posted by: kropotkin | Date: 2014-03-31 14:32 | IP: IP Logged

Thanks PsPad

Ok. I said it was putting in tabs based on when I did a backspace delete <- on my keyboard it when back to the start of the line. I assumed that was deleting a single tab. I expected to have to press this 4 times, once for each space. However when I do View... Special chars I can see it is in fact putting in tabs. My backspace key is somehow aware of my 4 tabs. If I use 8 spaces my backspace key is aware of that! Have you programmed this for the backspace key?

Thanks again.

#4 Re: Automatically replace a tab with 4 spaces

Posted by: kropotkin | Date: 2014-03-31 14:33 | IP: IP Logged

Thanks PsPad

Ok. I said it was putting in tabs based on when I did a backspace delete <- on my keyboard it when back to the start of the line. I assumed that was deleting a single tab. I expected to have to press this 4 times, once for each space. However when I do View... Special chars I can see it is in fact putting in tabs. My backspace key is somehow aware of my 4 tabs. If I use 8 spaces my backspace key is aware of that!

Thanks again.

Editor PSPad - freeware editor, © 2001 - 2024 Jan Fiala, Hosted by Webhosting TOJEONO.CZ, design by WebDesign PAY & SOFT, code Petr Dvořák, Privacy policy and GDPR