You are here: PSPad forum > English discussion forum > How does pspad remember all files opened regardless of the way they were opened?

How does pspad remember all files opened regardless of the way they were opened?

#1 How does pspad remember all files opened regardless of the way they were opened?

Posted by: quadme | Date: 2013-08-06 09:07 | IP: IP Logged

After trying and researching I did not happen to come to an acceptable result.

How is it possible to automatically reopen all recently opened files on restart of pspad? No matter if I opened the files via Total Commander (with pspad used as default editor) or via PSPad directly.
No matter what I set in 'Program Settings > Files and Dirs > Save Work / Desktop' I want to always open all of the files I had recently opened on a new start of PSPad.

Is there an unknown command line parameter or another unknown way to achieve this?

This problem is also exactly described here forum.pspad.com unanswered.

thanks, quadme.

Options: Reply | Quote | Up ^

#2 Re: How does pspad remember all files opened regardless of the way they were opened?

Posted by: vbr | Date: 2013-08-06 10:51 | IP: IP Logged

quadme:
After trying and researching I did not happen to come to an acceptable result.

How is it possible to automatically reopen all recently opened files on restart of pspad? No matter if I opened the files via Total Commander (with pspad used as default editor) or via PSPad directly.
No matter what I set in 'Program Settings > Files and Dirs > Save Work / Desktop' I want to always open all of the files I had recently opened on a new start of PSPad.

Is there an unknown command line parameter or another unknown way to achieve this?

This problem is also exactly described here forum.pspad.com unanswered.

thanks, quadme.

Hi,
I believe, the remembering previous files works for the start of the "bare" application.
If you set "all open files" in the mentined option, on new start of PSPad, it should restore all the (available) files, which were open in the moment, the editor was previously closed as the whole application.

If you open the first file from the file manager without PSPad running, and close the editor after that, this item replaces the previously remembered filelist.

You can avoid this by closing all those files open from the manager separately and close then PSPad app without files; on next starting via programm shortcut, the previously active files are preserved (however, this doesn't seem to work if you also open other files from within the editor in between).

To work on a certain set of files (besides using projects or relations, or not closing the program at all), you just have to close the app with all the wanted files and to start the programm again without specific file path arguments (i.e. via program shortcut, not from the filemanager etc.).

hth,
vbr

#3 Re: How does pspad remember all files opened regardless of the way they were opened?

Posted by: quadme | Date: 2013-08-07 08:06 | IP: IP Logged

Thank you vbr for your in-depth explanation.

To the programmers:
Are you going to offer an alternative behaviour where the opened files are fully remembered no matter how they have been opened? Quite an easy feature to implement.
The current implemented bevaviour is quite annoying for such a well designed program. sad smiley
Other editors do behave like this automatically, like e.g. notepad++ with which I worked for quite a time.

regards, quadme

#4 Re: How does pspad remember all files opened regardless of the way they were opened?

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2013-08-07 10:20 | IP: IP Logged

Annoying?
Imagine you work with PSPad with many files. You close it.
No you need to edit quickly one file - you open it e.g. from explorer or TC, do what you need and close PSPad.
Now you start PSPad without file as parameter and your whole work is back.
In case PSPad will remember last file, it will open the one you edited last time. This is what I call annoying.

You can save file sessions and restore it anytime
You can use projects - it will restore your project state too

#5 Re: How does pspad remember all files opened regardless of the way they were opened?

Posted by: quadme | Date: 2013-08-07 13:43 | IP: IP Logged

Well, pspad, if you imagine always keeping an editor opened with your relevant files, and not beeing able to add another file via the shortcut of Total Commander, this really is annoying, because it is getting inconvenient in the workflow. I do not see a need for close and restart the editor after checking a file via Total Commander, why would I do this?
The way you deal with that Total Commander editor option (or IE) may be a useful way for some people, but why do you not offer the other way, too? Just a command line parameter like e.g. "/a" as "add current file to opened files in running instance" as other editors do?

regards,
quadme

#6 Re: How does pspad remember all files opened regardless of the way they were opened?

Posted by: vbr | Date: 2013-08-07 13:51 | IP: IP Logged

I personally find the current behaviour useful for most regular work, but it surely might be surprising at times (in any case, one have to pay attention, not to open a file in a way which would break this functionality - if the set of the open files should be preserved).

I also seems to me, that this "specialcased" behaviour is not quite what the setting "Save work / Desktop :: All opened files" implies.

Maybe an option to update the list of open files on program exit without such differentiating would add for some symmetry and would be least surprising.

Additionally, I'd prefer skipping the filelist update consistently, if the program is closed without any open files. Currently, it mostly works this way, but there are the mentioned exceptions - e.g. the previously remembered filelist is lost, if a file is open via filemanager and another one from within PSPad. Even if all files are closed separately before exiting the app, on next "bare" start, no open files are remembered.

regards,
vbr

Editor PSPad - freeware editor, © 2001 - 2024 Jan Fiala, Hosted by Webhosting TOJEONO.CZ, design by WebDesign PAY & SOFT, code Petr Dvořák, Privacy policy and GDPR