You are here: PSPad forum > English discussion forum > Re: InstallManager.exe bundled with PSPad installer

Re: InstallManager.exe bundled with PSPad installer

#1 InstallManager.exe bundled with PSPad installer

Posted by: panos | Date: 2013-05-16 18:28 | IP: IP Logged

Tried to install PSPad today, my firewall/HIPS caught it trying to run an additional installer, InstallManager.exe, which tried to install the Delta toolbar and RegClean. Neither of these programs has a desirable function or at least related to PSPad.

Please remove InstallManager.exe, it's hurting trust.

Options: Reply | Quote | Up ^

#2 Re: InstallManager.exe bundled with PSPad installer

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2013-05-17 04:55 | IP: IP Logged

Hello
Bundled InstallMonetizer brings me some earning.
Nothing is installed in the background without user mind. You can accept or decline offered software with one button click.
You can run installer without any bundle functionality with /nobundle switch
You can use ZIP package instead installer

Information, that PSPad installer contains bundled software (in fact,software offers are dynamically downloaded) is on the PSPad page, on the main mirror page, you can read it on the licence installer page...

#3 Re: InstallManager.exe bundled with PSPad installer

Posted by: panos | Date: 2013-05-17 06:53 | IP: IP Logged

I've just donated a few euros. I believe that you should emphasize a request for donations instead of using such bundles (which are also out of your control and can be used to install bona fide malware in the future).

Let me be clear, I'm not accussing anyone here. I just believe you are making a wrong decision that hurts the great reputation you've build all these years.

Keep up the great work.

#4 Re: InstallManager.exe bundled with PSPad installer

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2013-05-17 07:50 | IP: IP Logged

You are right, I have limited control which offers will be displayed.
But I check continuously if there isn't nothing wrong with offers.
There are no hidden installation and offers are easy to decline by user without choosing custom install as is common in some softwares.
It means you can choose any PSPad installation (default, full, custom) and in all case you will see the offer with possibility to decline it.

You can use server install with /Silent switch. In this case no server is contacted and all offer is installed again.

#5 Re: InstallManager.exe bundled with PSPad installer

Posted by: gyll | Date: 2013-06-13 11:01 | IP: IP Logged

I also think panos is right. You have built a great product and a great reputation over the years, and you are ruining it with this decision. People hate bundles, period. The very fact that they know there's a third-party piece of software which contacts the internet from their computer will make them look for alternatives and stop using *and recommending* your product.

I also totally concur with panos' thinking that you should just use a "nag screen" asking for donations (of course with a check-box "don't show this again") when PSPad is tarted. Also, i think a direct "Donations..." menu item in the "Help menu" would help (this should ofcourse lead to a page on your website, and you'll further instruct the user from there).

Also, please allow me to repeat what i already suggested to you (and what prevents me from donating): you should find a way to accept direct VISA/Mastercad payments (instead of paypal and the likes) because many people hate leaving any user info (so much so banking info) to intermediaries. I know these alternatives cost a few bucks per month, but i think you should at least give it a try for a couple of months or so (coupled with the "nag screens") and see how it works out.

PS
Just like panos said, this is not about making accusations or the likes; the very fact that people like me and him *who know about how to get rid of those bulndles* are still spending time to write these things to you should speak for itself.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-13 11:05 by gyll.

#6 Re: InstallManager.exe bundled with PSPad installer

Posted by: Raka | Date: 2013-10-22 06:41 | IP: IP Logged

I clicked "Next" a little too quickly while installing on a new laptop. I've now spent a solid two hours working to remove the resulting malware. I'm not using that term lightly; the most visible element was the "tubesaver" browser extension, but the changed registry keys and other executables burrowed much more deeply, and perniciously re-installed themselves when I attempted to remove them. I'm not facing a full format and re-imaging, since I can't in good conscience connect to a client's network with a machine that I know to have been compromised.

I understand the need to see some financial return, but this is a frankly irreparable breach of trust. I've recommended PSPad to colleagues and clients many times over the years, and often faced resistance from people who believed freeware was inherently risky. I'm thoroughly disappointed to see them proven correct, and I won't make that mistake again.

#7 Re: InstallManager.exe bundled with PSPad installer

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2013-10-22 07:04 | IP: IP Logged

Hello

From where you downloaded PSPad? On PSPad site is information about bundled software. On the main download site is information about bundled software. Information about bundled software is in licence (first installer page)
I am offering possibility to download PSPad without installer as ZIP package - unpack and run.

I understand people don't read information on web pages, they don't read information during installation process...

Editor PSPad - freeware editor, © 2001 - 2024 Jan Fiala, Hosted by Webhosting TOJEONO.CZ, design by WebDesign PAY & SOFT, code Petr Dvořák, Privacy policy and GDPR