You are here: PSPad forum > English discussion forum > Re: Run Multiple Instances of PSPad, but Open New Documents within the Last Used Instance -- Windows Explorer?

Re: Run Multiple Instances of PSPad, but Open New Documents within the Last Used Instance -- Windows Explorer?

#1 Run Multiple Instances of PSPad, but Open New Documents within the Last Used Instance -- Windows Explorer?

Posted by: own3mall | Date: 2013-04-27 07:11 | IP: IP Logged

Hi All,

I know it's possible to run multiple instances of PSPad by unchecking the "Only One Program Instance" setting within the "System Integration" Program Settings. However, when you allow more than one instance of PSPad to run at the same time, all files or documents that are opened via Windows Explorer always open in a new instance of PSPad.

Instead of opening a new instance everytime a document is opened via Windows Explorer, would it be possible to open that document in the last used instance of PSPad?

In essence, I want to be able to run multiple instances of PSPad, but I don't want files opened from Explorer to open in a new instance. Instead, I'd like these documents to open in the last used instance of PSPad (the last instance that was in focus).

This behavior change should only affect Windows Explorer.

I think this would be a more logical approach to multiple instances than currently implemented. If this setting is already achievable, could someone please tell me how to make it work this way?

Any help is appreciated. PSPad is my all-time favorite editor by the way... wouldn't be able to survive my job without it! grinning smiley

Thanks!

Options: Reply | Quote | Up ^

#2 Re: Run Multiple Instances of PSPad, but Open New Documents within the Last Used Instance -- Windows Explorer?

Posted by: Get Free | Date: 2013-05-10 05:32 | IP: IP Logged

I'd very much like this addition as well.
I normally have to keep multi-instances disabled thanks to this annoyance.
Only when I need another instance I enable the option, then open the new instance, and finally disable the option again. Simply not practical sad smiley

#3 Re: Run Multiple Instances of PSPad, but Open New Documents within the Last Used Instance -- Windows Explorer?

Posted by: hankejh | Date: 2013-10-07 01:36 | IP: IP Logged

I love* this idea.

Jan, is this possible?

#4 Re: Run Multiple Instances of PSPad, but Open New Documents within the Last Used Instance -- Windows Explorer?

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2013-10-07 05:02 | IP: IP Logged

Yes, start PSPad with the /N or -N switch
You can create link for it.

Editor PSPad - freeware editor, © 2001 - 2024 Jan Fiala, Hosted by Webhosting TOJEONO.CZ, design by WebDesign PAY & SOFT, code Petr Dvořák, Privacy policy and GDPR