You are here: PSPad forum > English discussion forum > Re: Adware InfoAtoms & Snap.Do

Re: Adware InfoAtoms & Snap.Do

Goto Page: Previous1 2 3 4

#31 Re: Adware InfoAtoms & Snap.Do

Posted by: carbonize | Date: 2014-11-20 10:21 | IP: IP Logged

I personally say keep the bundleware that you add but stop using these third party sites that are notorious for adding their own. They are the main issue. Wonder if we could get PSPad listed on FileHippo then they will host it as well.

--
Carbonize

Options: Reply | Quote | Up ^

#32 Re: Adware InfoAtoms & Snap.Do

Posted by: johnbentley | Date: 2014-11-22 06:47 | IP: IP Logged

pspad:
Next PSPad version (download links from PSPad site) will be free of bundled software

Jan, that's great news. I think that'll restore the purity of your intentions: to provide a well made piece of software that makes user's life better.

I vow to donate €20 when I upgrade to the next version, if it is free of the bundled software and hosted on your site.

I'd encourage others following this thread to make a similar pledge.

#33 Re: Adware InfoAtoms & Snap.Do

Posted by: Cay | Date: 2015-04-04 10:11 | IP: IP Logged

For people with adware - use free tools like malwarebytes o adwcleaner, both are great. Manual removal can sometimes help: keonesoftware.com

#34 Re: Adware InfoAtoms & Snap.Do

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2015-04-04 10:42 | IP: IP Logged

PSPad from 4.5.9 version is free of any 3rd party software. I am responsible for download links on PSpad.com page. I can't be responsible for any other link on the web.
You can easily know genuine version, PSPad installer is digitally signed by COMODO issued code signing certificate

#35 Re: Adware InfoAtoms & Snap.Do

Posted by: earlec@rocketmail.com | Date: 2015-05-14 03:26 | IP: IP Logged

Jan,

Thanks very much, this is fantastic news.

Carbonize,
I've read back through this thread and it's clear you are not at all in touch with all the issues. I am a software developer and have been doing contract work for over 20yrs with many companies. All of the companies I have worked with have software security policies which are being constantly reviewed, and all now preclude installation of anything which may be associated with malware and any add on software, indeed many companies now issue a list of approved software which won't included PSPad. It's not a matter of saying just use the zip, not the installer, too late, the software is tainted. No one will use or approve anything which may get them fired!

I too find it one of the best text editors out there for windows. If it had built in sftp it would be the only text editor I use.

And congratulations Jan on continued support of such a great piece of software.

#36 Re: Adware InfoAtoms & Snap.Do

Posted by: carbonize | Date: 2015-05-14 17:39 | IP: IP Logged

That makes no sense because when you are working for a company you use the tools they provide you with. When I have worked for other people I have used the editor they have provided in the enviroment they have provided using the coding style they had specified.

As to working in locked down environments I currently work for the government and locked down doesn't even come close to describing it.

--
Carbonize

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-14 17:39 by carbonize.

#37 Re: Adware InfoAtoms & Snap.Do

Posted by: johnbentley | Date: 2015-06-24 12:10 | IP: IP Logged

Jan,

I've just went to update my version of PSPad and things where not quite as I expected given your previous decision ...

Quote:
Because I got many complains last few months, I made final decision already.
Next PSPad version (download links from PSPad site) will be free of bundled software.

From your download page, at www.pspad.com, the top four icons link to

* www.fosshub.com * www.download3k.com
* www.fosshub.com
* www.pspad.tk

You correctly wrote

Quote:
I am responsible for download links on PSpad.com page. I can't be responsible for any other link on the web.

But you are also responsible for the links on pspad.com that direct a user to a third party file hosting site. Those fosshub links remain.

I'd suggest:

* You ought completely dissociate yourself from fosshub given their prior dirty practices (I have no experience with download3K but I'm not inclined to trust them);
* Host only with reputable third party sites, if you must use third party sites at all (github?);
* For downloadables that you host yourself, host them at pspad.com, not pspad.tk (this seems dodgy even though, I assume, you have ordinary reasons for doing it that way);
* Provide an installer, as well as a zip, that you host yourself;
* Redesign your download page to more clearly differentiate icons that link to third party download sites from those that are self-hosted, if you must use third party hosting sites.

''.phorum_html_encode('earlec@rocketmail.com').'' noted

Quote:
... All of the companies I have worked with have software security policies which are being constantly reviewed, and all now preclude installation of anything which may be associated with malware ..

... those are companies with sound policies. While PSpad remains associated with fosshub, pspad remains "associated with malware".

However, it is clear that you've taken action to improve things by providing a digitally signed installer (with Comodo), even where hosted on a bad site like fosshub.

So I tested that installer myself, from fosshub. I verified the certificate and ran the installer. I can confirm that no intermediate screens appeared in the wizard, inviting the installation of secondary software. So far everything looks good.

So even though I don't think you've quite met the spirit under which I promised my donation, you have taken steps to ensure users can get a clean installation of pspad. So you should have received a USD 25 donation from me (a little more than the €20 promised).

If you implement all of my previous suggestions, you'll get another USD 25, when I next upgrade.

Thanks for your continued development of one of the best text editors.

- John

#38 Re: Adware InfoAtoms & Snap.Do

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2015-06-24 12:42 | IP: IP Logged

Hello John

I am the one who upload files on FossHub, I am responsible for the files and I guarantee it. I am using FossHub, cause it brings me little incomes (from FossHub advertisement). Just now PSpad project depends of donations and AdSense.
For your imagination, last month I bough new Delphi upgrade (pretty expensive) to bring users full unicode support and 64 bit version of PSPad. Now I am working on code rewriting - I need to move libraries and PSPad code to new version and clean it from current semi-unicode support.
To move PSPad download fully to PSPad site means pay high fees for trafic - it will consumes near all incomes.

PSPad.tk is my friend hosting. TK is free domain registrator. I agree, it isn't ideal.

There will be some steps what will partially clear it up. With new web pages version I will move PSPad to new hosting with better traffic conditions - at least mirror downloads will come directly from the PSPad page.

#39 Re: Adware InfoAtoms & Snap.Do

Posted by: johnbentley | Date: 2015-06-26 11:02 | IP: IP Logged

Jan,

Thanks for some further detail that was otherwise not immediately obvious.

Quote:
I am the one who upload files on FossHub, I am responsible for the files and I guarantee it

Yes, and it was a good idea to digitally sign the installer with a certificate so we can be reasonably confident that the file we receive (where ever we get it) comes from you without tampering from third parties.

Quote:
I agree, it isn't ideal. ... There will be some steps what will partially clear it up.

Thanks for considering my points as you, for the future, think about some options.

And it's right for you, I agree, to try to keep the costs down at your end and generate some revenue (however small or large ... I hope it becomes large).

I've already received the benefits of your Delphi upgrade ... previously, on my laptop, PSPad appeared out of focus. The new PSPad UI is now sharply resolved.

If I recall you've previously dismissed the following as a possible option: but perhaps you can charge directly for the software. That is, by offering a free-limited function version and a paid-full function version. (Personally I prefer a "per person, for life" license).

Anyway thanks again for your enormous efforts on this software. It's clear you've always being trying to find a solution that's best for your community of PSPad users (which includes trying to pay for costs and perhaps give yourself some deserved revenue ... to help sustain your efforts).

All the best,
John.

Goto Page: Previous1 2 3 4

Editor PSPad - freeware editor, © 2001 - 2024 Jan Fiala, Hosted by Webhosting TOJEONO.CZ, design by WebDesign PAY & SOFT, code Petr Dvořák, Privacy policy and GDPR