You are here: PSPad forum > English discussion forum > Re: Adware InfoAtoms & Snap.Do

Re: Adware InfoAtoms & Snap.Do

Goto Page: Previous1 2 3 4 Next

#21 Re: Adware InfoAtoms & Snap.Do

Posted by: myf | Date: 2014-05-20 10:32 | IP: IP Logged

Jan, these discussions constantly brings to my mind one question (and I think that community is eager to know that as well):

Hypothetically, what amount of donations would outweigh all adware affiliate incomes, let's say, for half a year for you? Ie, what would be the price of removing such thing from installers in future stable version?

Options: Reply | Quote | Up ^

#22 Re: Adware InfoAtoms & Snap.Do

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2014-06-02 20:01 | IP: IP Logged

From the next version I will offer clear installer on PSPad page too.
We will see the result.

#23 Re: Adware InfoAtoms & Snap.Do

Posted by: Andy | Date: 2014-07-08 15:44 | IP: IP Logged

Any malware is easily removed by malwarebytes. Some people even do it by hand

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-08 17:10 by pspad.

#24 Re: Adware InfoAtoms & Snap.Do

Posted by: cnc_operator | Date: 2014-08-15 04:33 | IP: IP Logged

way late to the party here but there is a point that nobody covered.

pspad is free, it's one of the best editors on win, and that says something for a prog that is most likely a hobby for jan. as such, it would seem to me that your morals are wrong to use his program for commercial use.

if you are developing, and from the impression you are giving, you must be writing for the government, corporation, or a contractor. all of which can and should be buying software.

another question, you are a dev, are you going to tell me that you don't prefer portable versions over installers?

BUT, the points are valid, BUT anything you install today has to be paid attention to very carefully. hell, the biggest offender is Oracle with their Java install.

#25 Re: Adware InfoAtoms & Snap.Do

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2014-09-03 16:27 | IP: IP Logged

I found the mirror Brothersoft started offer PSPad download using it's own downloader.
Users lost control over installation. I removed Brothersoft as mirror from my download page.

Standard PSPad installer offers clear possibility to easy decline any offer.
And users still have possibility to download portable version where is no installer and no offers - unzip and run.

#26 Re: Adware InfoAtoms & Snap.Do

Posted by: froschi | Date: 2014-09-07 09:59 | IP: IP Logged

pspad:
Standard PSPad installer offers clear possibility to easy decline any offer.

the current installer doesnt. it just installs (3) unwanted software, you cant stop. avira is warning, but not stopping.

please rethink your decission to use that bullshit in your installer.

im experienced but im not sure, that my computer is still clean.

Yours,
jan

#27 Re: Adware InfoAtoms & Snap.Do

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2014-09-07 11:43 | IP: IP Logged

froschi:
the current installer doesnt. it just installs (3) unwanted software, you cant stop. avira is warning, but not stopping.

please rethink your decission to use that bullshit in your installer.

im experienced but im not sure, that my computer is still clean.

Yours,
jan

No. I insist on it and I personally tested it.
On the end of installation process are screen with offers. There is decline / accept button.
Only in case we are talking on installer downloaded from links on PSPad page, not from any internet software server. Can you tell me the name of installer you run?

#28 Re: Adware InfoAtoms & Snap.Do

Posted by: carbonize | Date: 2014-09-20 13:16 | IP: IP Logged

Funny how all these people complaining about malware are brand new profiles. Wonder if the IP addresses are all the same area.

--
Carbonize

#29 Re: Adware InfoAtoms & Snap.Do

Posted by: johnbentley | Date: 2014-11-20 07:18 | IP: IP Logged

Hi Jan,

I've been using your excellent PSPad for years. I recently upgraded using a download via www.fosshub.com, the first link on your download page.

From www.fosshub.com I did take note of ...

> Before I say something about this free editor, please be careful at the installer version. When you're prompted to install toolbars or any other third-party program that doesn't belong to PSPad editor - you can choose to Agree or Decline. If you choose to "Decline", NO other third-party software will be installed on your computer.

... however tenacious malware (broswer hijacking with popups to *.ziqxs.com) has subsquently been installed. Several anti virus programs has been run (including malwarebytes) without being able to get rid of it.

I thought I was being careful to avoid any "accept" of a third party program. But I can't be sure. Certainly those screens offering third party programs seem deliberately designed to deceptively appear as part of the required main installation path.

I implore you to completely dissociate yourself from any site that is bundling malware/sypware/adware as part of your installation process.

I appreciate that you want to be compensated for your excellent development work. You deserve it. So I suggest you redesign your download page:

* To have two download paths: A completely free path (not associated with any malware bundling site); and a donation path (if you don't want to specify a fixed price).
* Include descriptions of what each kind of downloadable file is, with each respective button. Rather, that is, than describing all the options as a continuous piece of text next to all the downloadable files. The current download page is confusing.

Alternatively, if you are really set on sending users to a malware site for their free version, doing the above but making sure, and making it clear, that the donation path will be hosted on a site that nowhere has any advertising or malware.

I'll be happy to give you money. But only for software that can be installed without any malware, by a partially blind monkey.

#30 Re: Adware InfoAtoms & Snap.Do

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2014-11-20 08:41 | IP: IP Logged

Because I got many complains last few months, I made final decision already.
Next PSPad version (download links from PSPad site) will be free of bundled software.

Many software servers bundled installers into their package or force users to use their downloader to get software. This is out of my influence, but hard to explain it to users.

Goto Page: Previous1 2 3 4 Next

Editor PSPad - freeware editor, © 2001 - 2024 Jan Fiala, Hosted by Webhosting TOJEONO.CZ, design by WebDesign PAY & SOFT, code Petr Dvořák, Privacy policy and GDPR