You are here: PSPad forum > English discussion forum > Re: Problem:text files containing characters below 0x10 always loading in hex mode

Re: Problem:text files containing characters below 0x10 always loading in hex mode

#1 Problem:text files containing characters below 0x10 always loading in hex mode

Posted by: vvoois | Date: 2012-07-12 07:03 | IP: IP Logged

I have the annoyance with PSPad that whenever i load text-files that seem to contain an enormous amount of etx-characters at the end of their command string, PSPAd treats the text-file as a hex-file.
I don't have much problems with that, however i'm *not* capable of setting PSPad back to text-mode for that specific file if it is opened in binary mode. So everytime i want to open up such file in PSPad, i *first* need to open it in notepad, then replace *all* the etx characters (0x03) with nothing and then resave the file to be capable of opening it in text-mode in PSPAd.
Could there at least be a context option to open a file in forced text mode next to the possibility to open a file in hex mode? Or at least be a way to change the binary mode to text mode if a file is forcefully opened in hex-mode?
You could also attempt to display special characters using brackets ([etx], [null], etc), there are quite some text editors out there using a similar solution but i suspect this has been suggested a lot of times before i started posting here.

Thank you very much for reading my suggestion smiling smiley

Options: Reply | Quote | Up ^

#2 Re: Problem:text files containing characters below 0x10 always loading in hex mode

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2012-07-12 08:41 | IP: IP Logged

PSpad automatically detect non-text chars in text and open such file in HEX editor to prevent damage of binary file content.
You can switch detection off. Go to program settings, press direct edit button and change value of:
AutodetectBinary=0

#3 Re: Problem:text files containing characters below 0x10 always loading in hex mode

Posted by: vvoois | Date: 2012-07-13 11:42 | IP: IP Logged

Hey thanks for the advise!
That was one thing i would have never found myself.

Editor PSPad - freeware editor, © 2001 - 2024 Jan Fiala, Hosted by Webhosting TOJEONO.CZ, design by WebDesign PAY & SOFT, code Petr Dvořák, Privacy policy and GDPR