You are here: PSPad forum > English discussion forum > Internal Browser

Internal Browser

Goto Page: 1 2 Next

#1 Internal Browser

Posted by: carbonize | Date: 2011-12-22 19:56 | IP: IP Logged

I've noticed this in other programs so it's not just PSPad but why is the internal browser not using the IE9 engine when a user has IE9 installed?

--
Carbonize

Options: Reply | Quote | Up ^

#2 Re: Internal Browser

Posted by: carbonize | Date: 2012-01-27 18:02 | IP: IP Logged

I've noticed this in other text editors as well. The code below is a quick test I put together. If you open it in IE9 you will see a div with some text in it and a shadow under it. In th einternal preview you just see the text.

<!DOCTYPE HTML>
<html>
<head>
<style>
#test { width: 100px; height: 50px; text-align: center; box-shadow: 4px 0px 4px #888; }
</style>
</head>
<body>
<div id="test">some txt</div>
</body>
</html>

--
Carbonize

#3 Re: Internal Browser

Posted by: myf | Date: 2012-01-27 20:57 | IP: IP Logged

I suppose that it is due backward compatibility; "IE component" in any third-party application would render as it it was something like IE6. It somewhat makes sense. Many documents embedded on old applications would be probably broken when rendered according current standards. But it is purely my guessing.

From my experience you may use X-UA-Compatible meta tag to force it to render (local file://) previews the same way it would appear while loaded trough http:// server or opened directly in IE. Try this:

<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=Edge" />

#4 Re: Internal Browser

Posted by: carbonize | Date: 2012-01-28 08:19 | IP: IP Logged

Yup <meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=9" /> fixes it. Wonder if there isn't some way to force it to use IE 9 mode by default though.

--
Carbonize

#5 Re: Internal Browser

Posted by: carbonize | Date: 2012-01-28 18:10 | IP: IP Logged

I spoke ot another text editor writer and this was what he said.

Quote:
It can't be changed using any API functions, but there are some options you can set in the registry.

You can find more information at msdn.microsoft.com Check out the "Browser Emulation" section.

Which is a shame. You would of thought MS would of put in an option to have it run in IE9 mode for web dev programs.

<edit>Actually having just read that link it's not to much of an issue as you specify how to work per program. I just added
HKEY_CURRENT_USER/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Internet Explorer/Main/FeatureControl/FEATURE_BROWSER_EMULATION
PSPad.exe = (DWORD)9000

--
Carbonize

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-28 18:28 by carbonize.

#6 Re: Internal Browser

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2012-01-29 12:05 | IP: IP Logged

carbonize:
<edit>Actually having just read that link it's not to much of an issue as you specify how to work per program. I just added
HKEY_CURRENT_USER/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Internet Explorer/Main/FeatureControl/FEATURE_BROWSER_EMULATION
PSPad.exe = (DWORD)9000

If it works, I will let PSpad to write it for you.

#7 Re: Internal Browser

Posted by: carbonize | Date: 2012-01-29 18:07 | IP: IP Logged

It works perfectly. Making it something PSPad writes on command is the best solution given it can be portable. Will need to restart PSPad for it to work though.

--
Carbonize

#8 Re: Internal Browser

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2012-01-29 19:22 | IP: IP Logged

I tested it and it's ok. I already implement it. You will be able to set this option in Program settings / System

#9 Re: Internal Browser

Posted by: myf | Date: 2012-01-30 09:42 | IP: IP Logged

carbonize, Jan: good work :]

Oddly, on my Win XP with IE 8 no register entry was created after setting the pref and restarting PSPad. After manual regedit and few restarts it started to work as expected.

#10 Re: Internal Browser

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2012-01-30 10:10 | IP: IP Logged

myf:
carbonize, Jan: good work :]

Oddly, on my Win XP with IE 8 no register entry was created after setting the pref and restarting PSPad. After manual regedit and few restarts it started to work as expected.

did you create whole key or entry only?
did you create it in HKLM or HKCU?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-30 10:10 by pspad.

Goto Page: 1 2 Next

Editor PSPad - freeware editor, © 2001 - 2024 Jan Fiala, Hosted by Webhosting TOJEONO.CZ, design by WebDesign PAY & SOFT, code Petr Dvořák, Privacy policy and GDPR