You are here: PSPad forum > English discussion forum > Malware in installer.

Malware in installer.

Goto Page: Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next

#51 Re: Malware in installer.

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2012-02-15 17:07 | IP: IP Logged

Please make difference if product contains malware or if there is bundled any software.

Options: Reply | Quote | Up ^

#52 Re: Malware in installer.

Posted by: billps | Date: 2012-02-15 17:28 | IP: IP Logged

pspad:
Please make difference if product contains malware or if there is bundled any software.

The problem with this is that is not how ordinary users see your software. They don't see the software as a separate entity from the bundled malware.

The risk is that they get fooled (like I did) into installing malware because all they wanted to do was install PSPad.

They see an installation file offered from a link on your website, then download it in all good faith, puting their trust in you, only to find they have installed malware at the end of the process.

You really need to remove the link and listen to what your users are telling you. People are getting angry here for a reason. Bundling Malware with any software is completely unacceptable.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-15 17:30 by billps.

#53 Re: Malware in installer.

Posted by: billps | Date: 2012-02-15 17:39 | IP: IP Logged

prowla:
In selecting an installer that includes malware, the product is endorsing that malware.

I have to agree mate. The only conclusion I can come to is that pspad's reticence to remove the dodgy installer link is purely financially motivated.

#54 Re: Malware in installer.

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2012-02-15 17:57 | IP: IP Logged

Can you please both try new version of installer I send several adds above?

Is it more clear for you?

#55 Re: Malware in installer.

Posted by: billps | Date: 2012-02-15 18:16 | IP: IP Logged

I had a look at the last link you provided pspad.

It is trying to install something in the following folder "C:\Program Files (x86)\Artdocks Software\Fish Desktop Wallpaper"

I don't think I will bother installing it thank you very much!!!

#56 Re: Malware in installer.

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2012-02-15 18:28 | IP: IP Logged

It's a sample of installer.
It will show you new offer system.

ArtSoft walpaper is sample name. It doesn't install nothing, there will be folder with uninstaller only. Install it into temp or somewhere else.

If it doesn't offer you any software, any software will be installed.

Please try to be constructive. Write if you want say something with reason. If you don't have nothing reasonable to say, rest your fingers please.

#57 Re: Malware in installer.

Posted by: carbonize | Date: 2012-02-15 18:37 | IP: IP Logged

Jan I wouldn't bother. Nothing you can do will ever be good enough. You could offer to go and install it on the machines for them personally and they'd still find something to complain about.

I say start showing adverts in the program if the installer bothers them that much. Lets see how long it is until they complain about them. Seems to work for Trillian and Digsby.

--
Carbonize

#58 Re: Malware in installer.

Posted by: billps | Date: 2012-02-15 18:41 | IP: IP Logged

Whatever you say.

But I won't be installing it. Test it on your own computers. Once burned twice shy, as they say. I am not interested in any offers PSPad has.

Sorry, but the trust I previously had is no longer there

@Carbonize, you don't have to worry. I won't be installing PSPad again - its already on my blacklist of unethically funded products. So you can add as many ads to it as you like. I couldn't honestly care less.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-15 18:48 by billps.

#59 Re: Malware in installer.

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2012-02-15 18:49 | IP: IP Logged

Here is new version of sample installer:
www.pspad.com

Behavior:
Sample will be installed into temp folder. There is nothing else then uninstaller. Click on it and it will uninstall it.
The important is that it will show you new offering screen. You can see the difference - one click of decline button will refuse install anything.

For billps:
I tested it on my own computer of course, same as previous installer. Once burned twice shy, as they say? I am sorry to make you so much shy tongue sticking out smiley

#60 Re: Malware in installer.

Posted by: billps | Date: 2012-02-15 19:00 | IP: IP Logged

So you still intend bundling it with Malware nevertheless.

If you think I am going to help you do that, how can I say this without sounding disrespectful - fo guck y'self.

Goto Page: Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next

Editor PSPad - freeware editor, © 2001 - 2024 Jan Fiala, Hosted by Webhosting TOJEONO.CZ, design by WebDesign PAY & SOFT, code Petr Dvořák, Privacy policy and GDPR