You are here: PSPad forum > English discussion forum > Malware in installer.

Malware in installer.

Goto Page: Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next

#31 Re: Malware in installer.

Posted by: nergmlam | Date: 2012-01-31 07:20 | IP: IP Logged

Hi PsPad

There's a lot of unsatisfied remarks in this topic

So I thought you would like to know, that in a few weeks, I will promote PsPad on my own website, and ask www.capasystems.com (select CapaInstaller) that I and a lot others worldwide use to roll out our companys applications using vbScript

So keep smiling with your fantastic editor

smiling smiley smiling smiley smiling smiley smiling smiley smiling smiley smiling smiley smiling smiley
smiling smiley smiling smiley smiling smiley smiling smiley smiling smiley smiling smiley smiling smiley

Options: Reply | Quote | Up ^

#32 Re: Malware in installer.

Posted by: prowla | Date: 2012-02-08 08:20 | IP: IP Logged

I've been using PSPad for years now, and it has been a great tool.

However, I was shocked to see the installer offering (and defaulting) to install bablylon on my machine.

I once had to clean up a machine that had had babylon on it, and it was a right pig.

Let's be clear - bablylon is malware, and using an installer that defaults to installing it is at best irresponsible.

It is a real shame that a great product has been ruined.

Thanks for the years of use of PSPad, but I'm afraid I have to look elsewhere now.

#33 Re: Malware in installer.

Posted by: carbonize | Date: 2012-02-08 08:25 | IP: IP Logged

Prowla why? Talk about being childish. You don't have to use th einstaller and even if you do you can choose to not install the optional software.

--
Carbonize

#34 Re: Malware in installer.

Posted by: prowla | Date: 2012-02-08 08:38 | IP: IP Logged

No - it is not being childish at all.

The argument "you don't have to install the malware" is not really a very good one, is it?

Not least because we've seen earlier in the thread that the installer may have a "feature" (which might've been fixed, but how can you say it won't reappear?) that it installed the malware even though users de-selected the options.

In contrast to being childish, it is actually being sensible to reject this installer.

#35 Re: Malware in installer.

Posted by: carbonize | Date: 2012-02-08 14:18 | IP: IP Logged

No, not using the installer is not being childish. This is being childish.

prowla:
Thanks for the years of use of PSPad, but I'm afraid I have to look elsewhere now.

--
Carbonize

#36 Re: Malware in installer.

Posted by: prowla | Date: 2012-02-08 15:50 | IP: IP Logged

...until I can trust the installer.

#37 Re: Malware in installer.

Posted by: carbonize | Date: 2012-02-08 19:18 | IP: IP Logged

First you say you've been using it for years but then say you went to install it on your machine? If you've been using it for years why were you installing it?

If you have been using it for years then you would know it is an excelent product and Jan is dedicated it.

Jan has already said he has been in contact with the people who make the installer and the issue of it installing regardless is being looked in to.

There is a simple non-installer way of putting PSPad on your machine.

But no at the first sign of trouble you sign up to the forum just to say you will no longer be using the product it is for and then wonder why I call you childish?

--
Carbonize

#38 Re: Malware in installer.

Posted by: billps | Date: 2012-02-15 11:25 | IP: IP Logged

You can choose to ignore what people are saying about the installer defaulting to install the Babylon tool bar all you want. But Babylon Toolbar is a very NASTY piece of work.

Unfortunately, the installer caught me out too, and I am no beginner or naive computer user - and all I can say is that the name "PSPad" is now synonomous with "mud" - To say I was PISSED OFF is an understatement.

You need to wise up to the fact that the installer is making PSPad look evil and immoral. So, get your head OUT OF THE SAND.

I loved PSPad too once upon a time, but now - no thanks!!

I won't be installing anything that uses an installer to install malware/spyware on my computer. It just says "untrustworthy" to me. And until you do something about it I will be posting it all over the internet that PSPad contains MALWARE!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-15 11:32 by billps.

#39 Re: Malware in installer.

Posted by: myf | Date: 2012-02-15 12:11 | IP: IP Logged

It is interesting (for me) how many so called "power users" choose installer over standalone archive. I consider myself being "power user" as well and I must say that whenever I have option to choose between something that "installs itself" (tweaks registry, integrates into shell, makes filetype associations) and something that I can simply unpack, use and when I can be certain that it does not write anything outside its own directory (or nothing I explicitly tell it to), then my choice is clear. But it is certainly just a personal preference.

Ad this recent malware issue: I think situation is quite clear now. Jan bundled PSPad installer with flawed piece of third-party software. Vendor of this software literally took the responsibility and apologized. Jan also apologized for his part of this issue.

The only mistake Jan did, and only guilt which just nasty people could accuse him of was that he did not test all the installation scenarios, so the flaw leaked into public.

Yes, it made several persons angry, and it is perfectly understandable. Some of them (if not all) expressed their disappointment in this thread while the situation was not clear, what's also quite natural.

But what's not is continuing to do so while it is closed issue and even blaming Jan to be some evil greedy villain who puts malware in his software on purpose and profits, or what.

#40 Re: Malware in installer.

Posted by: billps | Date: 2012-02-15 12:11 | IP: IP Logged

Who said I was a "power user"? Because it certainly wasn't me.

I foolishly trusted the PSPad installer to not contain Malware - a mistake that will not occur again.

Using an installer to install software is not unreasonable, to lay the blame at users for their incompetence is disingenuous.

What's worse is that people who know little to nothing about computers will have trouble removing that horrbile Malware your installer contains.

All we are hearing is excuses upon excuses. You guys need to 'fess up and appoligise for what you have done to loyal users who once trusted you.

"nasty people" - no we are not the ones who are nasty, you need to take a look in the mirror MATE!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-15 12:20 by billps.

Goto Page: Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next

Editor PSPad - freeware editor, © 2001 - 2024 Jan Fiala, Hosted by Webhosting TOJEONO.CZ, design by WebDesign PAY & SOFT, code Petr Dvořák, Privacy policy and GDPR