You are here: PSPad forum > English discussion forum > Malware in installer.

Malware in installer.

Goto Page: Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next

#21 Re: Malware in installer.

Posted by: nergmlam | Date: 2012-01-24 11:58 | IP: IP Logged

Hi

When I run your installer with these silent switches:

pspad456inst_en.exe /SILENT /TASKS="multiuser,icons,contextmenu"

I both get the Babylon toolbar installed, but also get the "Install as single user / portable application" enabled, whick isn't good for Windows 7, because e.g. the pspad.ini file should be located in the C:\Users\ <UserName> \AppData\Roaming\PSpad folder.

Any chance to use silent switches to disable Babylon and "portable application"

Options: Reply | Quote | Up ^

#22 Re: Malware in installer.

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2012-01-24 12:18 | IP: IP Logged

Tasks has no influence of offered software.
I will try to make some changes to prevent install it with silent switch.

Existing tasks:

portable - Install as portable application (unchecked as default)
contextmenu - Create PSPad items in the Windows Explorer
icons - Create icons on the Desktop and QuickLaunch panel
txt - Register PSPad as default for TXT files

"multiuser" task was replaced with "portable" task in 4.5.6
Try /TASKS="icons,contextmenu"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-24 12:21 by pspad.

#23 Re: Malware in installer.

Posted by: graspee | Date: 2012-01-29 07:19 | IP: IP Logged

Pspad is a good editor but when I installed it I ended up with Babylon installed into all three of the browsers I use. It took a long time to finally get rid of the last trace of it.

Allowing this sort of evil malware to be distributed and installed with your editor is not acceptable.

I created this forum account just to express my displeasure. I shall now be using a different editor instead.

I do not think you deserve to make any money from writing software; you are in my mind at the same level as an email spammer.

#24 Re: Malware in installer.

Posted by: carbonize | Date: 2012-01-29 08:04 | IP: IP Logged

graspee:
I do not think you deserve to make any money from writing software; you are in my mind at the same level as an email spammer.

And in my mind you are an absolute idiot who doesn't know their arse from their elbow.

--
Carbonize

#25 Re: Malware in installer.

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2012-01-29 09:25 | IP: IP Logged

graspee:
I created this forum account just to express my displeasure. I shall now be using a different editor instead.

I suppose that people who used Text editor are able to read. Now I see I was false. Now I see that PSPad is used by child for play with keyboard.

If you are able read what installer shows you, you are able to install PSpad without suggested software.

#26 Re: Malware in installer.

Posted by: 98907455247f | Date: 2012-01-29 22:49 | IP: IP Logged

Hell no! angry smiley

I, too, created this account just to express what I think about your changes.
First of all, you should NEVER tell anyone that he did something wrong with your software when you could have done it better. It is a failure by yourself. Attacking your users is not that clever.
Second, PSPad is -besides the adware- a good editor for code.
Third, sometimes you have to act fast. In such moments you rely on tools you can trust 100%, e.g. Firefox, PuTTY, WinSCP, Notepad++. You just act because you can trust those tools.
PSPad is no longer in this list for me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-29 22:50 by 98907455247f.

#27 Re: Malware in installer.

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2012-01-30 05:26 | IP: IP Logged

Sorry, but I can't agree.
If you use tools as WinSCP, Putty what you will download when you want it? I will use ZIP.
PSpad offers you ZIP too. You can be sure what you use, there is no malware or spyware in PSPad.

But you choose installer. And you are not able to read what you are clicking on? Strange...

#28 Re: Malware in installer.

Posted by: carbonize | Date: 2012-01-30 08:14 | IP: IP Logged

Some people are just idiots with nothing better to do but talk crap about things they have little or no understanding about. Wouldn't surprise me if both them accounts were the same person.

--
Carbonize

#29 Re: Malware in installer.

Posted by: 98907455247f | Date: 2012-01-30 20:58 | IP: IP Logged

I don't think you don't understand what I meant with trust.

And btw I never said I did not make a mistake. Ever heard of fault-tolerance of a product? Well..

You want to monetarize this software. I understand this. However, think about this:
* There are other models (like freemium - just one example: after 10 launches, the user sees a video of you asking to buy a premium product, which can't do anything more but it is released earlier or gives a warm feeling, whatever, be creative)
* It is fucking opt-out (which is in some countries against the law for things like registering for a newsletter - for sure you won't be sued, BUT it is morally despicable)
* Babylon for example is not only a toolbar, it hijacks the whole system. It installs itself into Firefox, Chrome (well, shit on internet explorer, but of course, there too) and so on. It overrides defaults (like the search engine). It is a nightmare for privacy. It sits deep in the registry. It is nearly impossible for average users to remove, because uninstalling is not enough.

This is fast money but you are losing users who realize this shit comes from your software.

edit: @carbonize: there can't be two people with the same opinion!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-30 21:00 by 98907455247f.

#30 Re: Malware in installer.

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2012-01-31 06:27 | IP: IP Logged

I understand your point of view. You are right, there is way to make shareware from PSPad. But I don't want to do it.
You know what will happen. When you put any protection into software, there will be crack in a short time available. Fight with it will take much more time.

I will be happy to get e.g. 0.05 USD for each downloaded copy. But such model doesn't exists.

Goto Page: Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next

Editor PSPad - freeware editor, © 2001 - 2024 Jan Fiala, Hosted by Webhosting TOJEONO.CZ, design by WebDesign PAY & SOFT, code Petr Dvořák, Privacy policy and GDPR