You are here: PSPad forum > English discussion forum > Consistent crashes

Consistent crashes

#1 Consistent crashes

Posted by: Wellsee | Date: 12/11/2011 22:30 | IP: IP Logged

Hi. I was having an occasional crash problem with PSPAD on two computers. On this one I upgraded to the latest release (4.5.6 (2427)) and the crash happens every time I close PSPAD. So it has gone from occasional to every time.

Here is what I do:
1. Open PSPAD and it recalls the 4 plain text files I like to have open.
2. Click 'X' to close PSPAD or alternatively, close any one of the 4 tabs.
3. Crash.

The PSPad error dialog comes up and closes immediately. I get two different popups then:

Popup #1:
"Application Error: Exception EAccessViolation in module PSPad.exe at 0002056E. Access violation at address 0042056E in module 'PSPad.exe'. Read of address 00000006."

Popup #2 is the Windows 'look for solution or close program' window. Clicking 'show detail' gives:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: PSPad.exe
Application Version: 4.5.6.2427
Application Timestamp: 4ebc570e
Fault Module Name: PSPad.exe
Fault Module Version: 4.5.6.2427
Fault Module Timestamp: 4ebc570e
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 0002056e
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: ffb5
Additional Information 2: ffb590d94678928e04b742ec045dfa50
Additional Information 3: 9431
Additional Information 4: 943157e0518b50ca9c3b04e737cf1ab8

Then I click 'Close the program', the window goes away. However, PSPad is still in the task bar and I have to kill the process.

This is on a windows 7 x64 machine.

Please let me know if I can provide any further information, or if there is something I can do to break this cycle.

Options: Reply | Quote | Up ^

#2 Re: Consistent crashes

Posted by: pspad | Date: 12/12/2011 06:06 | IP: IP Logged

Visit PSPad forum and doenwload the latest developer build 4.5.7.
Can you confirm this behavior with this build too?

#3 Re: Consistent crashes

Posted by: Wellsee | Date: 12/12/2011 18:42 | IP: IP Logged

Short version: I uninstalled completely. Reinstalled full version. Copied developers version into the folder. Same results, it crashed. HOWEVER - when I did the same steps but with running PSPad in administrator mode (win 7 x64, right click, run as administrator), it did not crash! But I shouldn't have to do that, right?

Here is a detailed list of what I have done:

I downloaded 4.5.7 2433, copied the files into the same directory, opened PSPad which opened the files, closed PSPad and the same crash happened.

I've since removed PSPad and reinstalled full version plus the developer's version. Opening and closing the application was fine, with no files. Opening and closing each of the four files worked. Opening all 4 files and closing the app worked.

Open in administrator mode so I can change these program settings:
Uncheck Show Splash Screen.
Uncheck Scroll past EOL and EOF.
Check ALT sets cursor mode.
Uncheck Completion of chars ({[<'
Uncheck Smart chars completion.
Apply.
OK.

Double click on txt file in directory, opens in notepad.

Back in program settings:
Check Open TXT files.
Apply.
OK.

Double click on txt file in directory, cursor spins, nothing opens. Close PSPad, reopen in regular mode.

(grrr, why doesn't it remember that I resized it?)

Opened single files and closed them. Opened several files, closed app, worked fine.

Reopen app in admin mode.
Verify that "Autosave main window position" is checked -- even though it isn't happening.
Verify that "Save recent files list" is checked -- even though it isn't happening.

(Just searched my hard drive to be 100% that I don't have PSPad installed twice. I found multiple AppCrash_PSPad.exe_* directories and PSPad.exe.*.dmp files, if you want me to send any. It is installed once though.)

Click "Remember File State".
Change Save Work / Desktop to All Opened Files.
Apply.
OK.
Resize and move.
X out.

Open .txt file. Close the empty new file so only txt file is open. Close app with my txt file open.
Reopen PSPad. Window size and position are remembered, my txt file is not opened/restored. It is also not in the Recent list.

Reopen in admin mode.
Check Remember Last Filter. (what else is there to change to remember the files that were still open when PSPad was closed?)
Apply.
OK.
Close.

Open each individual file. Close App. Reopen app, it opens the files. Close -- CRASH.
The PSPad crash dialog stays open a little longer but it disappears before I clicked 'copy to clipboard'.

"Application Error. Exception EAccessViolation in module PSPade.exe at 0002056E. Access violation at address 0042056E in module 'PSPade.exe.' Read of address 00000005."

Oh, I redid the steps, it crashed, here's the PSPad clipboard:
Exception description:

Access violation at address 0. Read of address 00000000.

Exception class: EAccessViolation
Exception address: 0
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stack list, generated 12/12/2011 11:38:17 AM
Thanks for the report,
but please do not post such lists to the forum,
rather send it to Jan by mail (see Help > About)
Thank you.
-
Спасибо за доклад,
но, пожалуйста, не пишите такие списки на форум,
а отправить его в Янв по почте (см. Справка> О программе)
Спасибо.
-
-
Díky za zprávu,
ale prosím neposílejte takové seznamy na fóru,
spíše zaslat jej na Jana poštou (viz Nápověda> O aplikaci)
Děkuju.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Program : C:\Program Files (x86)\PSPad editor\PSPad.exe 4.5.7 (2433)
System : Windows 7 Home Edition x64, Version: 6.1, Build: 1DB1, Service Pack 1
Processor: Intel, Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU Q 720 @ 1.60GHz, 1600 MHz MMX
Display : 1600x900 pixels, 32 bpp
Active Controls Hierarchy:
TPSSynEdit ""
"_3"

Run as administrator, Yes to User Account Control (sigh), opens 4 files, hit X to close, and it does so gracefully. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2014 20:02 by Stefan.

#4 Re: Consistent crashes

Posted by: Wellsee | Date: 12/13/2011 15:26 | IP: IP Logged

For documentation/search purposes, I want to add to the workaround/resolution hit upon in another thread by myf:

Under Settings > Program Settings > System Integration, check the first option, "Multi User Environment". This moves the config file out of the protected windows Program directory and into the user's directories. That eliminates the need to run in admin mode without reintroducing the crashes.

Editor PSPad - freeware editor, © 2001 - 2014 Jan Fiala
Hosted by Webhosting TOJEONO.CZ, design by WebDesign PAY & SOFT, code Petr Dvořák