You are here: PSPad forum > English discussion forum > Can't open PHP files by double clicking in Windows Explorer

Can't open PHP files by double clicking in Windows Explorer

Goto Page: 1 2 Next

#1 Can't open PHP files by double clicking in Windows Explorer

Posted by: swbrains | Date: 2011-11-30 19:50 | IP: IP Logged

PSPad Ver. 4.5.7 (2432)
Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit)

When I double click a file with a PHP extension in Windows Explorer, PSPad opens, but the file is not opened. PSPad's workspace is empty.

If I double click a CSS, PL or other file extension, PSPad opens with that document opened for editing.

I checked in the System Integration settings under Registered File Types and I have .php included in the list. I clicked the Register All button again, but it still doesn't open them by default.

I also checked in the Highlighter Settings, and PHP is checked and has the proper php extension associated with it in the File Masks list.

Anything else I can try to get PSPad to open with the selected PHP file loaded when opens?

Thanks!

Options: Reply | Quote | Up ^

#2 Re: Can't open PHP files by double clicking in Windows Explorer

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2011-12-02 11:53 | IP: IP Logged

I found a problem in Windows 7 and PSPad registration from Program settings / Registr file types.

This problem will be fixed in the next build, i hope this weekend

#3 Re: Can't open PHP files by double clicking in Windows Explorer

Posted by: swbrains | Date: 2011-12-05 21:52 | IP: IP Logged

Thanks, I installed the latest version today (4.5.7.2433), but the problem still exists. I tried verifying and re-saving/applying my program settings, but it still opens without any file open when I double-click a PHP file in Windows Explorer.

Anything else I need to do beyond that?

#4 Re: Can't open PHP files by double clicking in Windows Explorer

Posted by: swbrains | Date: 2011-12-06 04:09 | IP: IP Logged

I went into Windows Control Panel->Default Progams and reselected PSPad for .php files and now it seems to work properly.

#5 Re: Can't open PHP files by double clicking in Windows Explorer

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2011-12-06 05:56 | IP: IP Logged

swbrains:
Thanks, I installed the latest version today (4.5.7.2433), but the problem still exists. I tried verifying and re-saving/applying my program settings, but it still opens without any file open when I double-click a PHP file in Windows Explorer.

Anything else I need to do beyond that?

There is necessary to reasign all extensions in program settings

#6 Re: Can't open PHP files by double clicking in Windows Explorer

Posted by: larryg | Date: 2012-02-02 15:20 | IP: IP Logged

Getting the same behavior here, with latest version downloaded today. Windows 7/64. If I assign file TXT, PHP, SQL... associations to Bluefish or Notepad, the files open when the application launches through Explorer. Assigning PSPAD results in an empty new file.

This used to work...

-larryg

#7 Re: Can't open PHP files by double clicking in Windows Explorer

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2012-02-02 15:57 | IP: IP Logged

larryg:
Getting the same behavior here, with latest version downloaded today. Windows 7/64. If I assign file TXT, PHP, SQL... associations to Bluefish or Notepad, the files open when the application launches through Explorer. Assigning PSPAD results in an empty new file.

This used to work...

-larryg

Download current 4.5.7 build
www.pspad.com

After files replace go to
program settings / registered file types and register PSpad for PHP

#8 Re: Can't open PHP files by double clicking in Windows Explorer

Posted by: larryg | Date: 2012-02-02 21:40 | IP: IP Logged

Thank you for the quick reply, but the latest version 4.5.7 does not solve the problem. I uninstalled completely, then installed the full version 4.5.6, then overlay with all files from 4.5.7. Same problem.

Open Explorer, select a filetype (example, a .INI file), click Explorer Menu >Open >Choose Default Program, with "Always use the selected program" checked, select PDPAD.exe, press <Enter>. Screen flashes quickly (too fast to see), then PSPad opens with empty New1.txt file.

If I then click on that same .ini file in Explorer, PSPad launches but with an empty file.

If I perform the same task again, but select another default program (wordpad.exe), Wordpad launches with the file contents. Clicking directly on the .ini file in Explorer will then launch Wordpad with the file contents.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-02 21:49 by larryg.

#9 SOLVED! Re: Can't open PHP files by double clicking in Windows Explorer

Posted by: larryg | Date: 2012-02-03 00:58 | IP: IP Logged

The more I played with this problem on two different computers, the more it looked like a Windows 7 problem and not a PSPad problem. I went looking for solutions and found a free utility that apparently does a better job of setting File Type Associations than Windows does.

Goto: defaultprogramseditor.com

Download DefaultProgramsEditor. No installation. Just unzip the exe file to your hard drive. Select >File Type Settings >Context Menu, locate the suffix (file type) and assign the full path to PSPAD.EXE to the file type. Done.

Fixed the problem on both of my Windows 7/64 PCs. Hope it helps you, too.

-larryg

#10 Re: SOLVED! Re: Can't open PHP files by double clicking in Windows Explorer

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2012-02-03 05:10 | IP: IP Logged

If you have PSPad 4.5.7, do association with PSpad.
Go to program settings / Registered file types
Add PHP and let PSpad register it.

Goto Page: 1 2 Next

Editor PSPad - freeware editor, © 2001 - 2024 Jan Fiala, Hosted by Webhosting TOJEONO.CZ, design by WebDesign PAY & SOFT, code Petr Dvořák, Privacy policy and GDPR