You are here: PSPad forum > English discussion forum > File Contents were Changed. Reload?

File Contents were Changed. Reload?

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next

#1 File Contents were Changed. Reload?

Posted by: jd | Date: 2010-03-15 21:42 | IP: IP Logged

Problem with 4.5.5 (2386): PSPad sometimes reports "File Contents were Changed" incorrectly.

Reproduce by the following steps:

1) Load an HTML file into PSPad (use HTML multihighlighter mode)

2) Make a change the file

3) Preview (F10)

4) Activate another window (for example, Notepad)

5) Click back on PSPad. A popup appears saying "File Contents were Changed. Reload?"

Reverting back to the released version (4.5.4) eliminates the problem.

Options: Reply | Quote | Up ^

#2 Re: File Contents were Changed. Reload?

Posted by: jd | Date: 2010-03-18 04:52 | IP: IP Logged

This seems like a bug to me. Is anyone else seeing this?

#3 Re: File Contents were Changed. Reload?

Posted by: mkhan | Date: 2010-04-14 15:50 | IP: IP Logged

I am using Windows 7 Pro 64bit running PSPad 4.5.4 and running in to this issue as well. It happens frequently however, I can't consistently reproduce it. It does happen when I switch to another program and switch back.

#4 Re: File Contents were Changed. Reload?

Posted by: dbm | Date: 2010-04-27 12:59 | IP: IP Logged

same problem here with 4.5.5 and 4.5.4

windows 7 64bit

#5 Re: File Contents were Changed. Reload?

Posted by: jd | Date: 2010-04-28 17:16 | IP: IP Logged

I am seeing this with Win XP 32 bit.

#6 Re: File Contents were Changed. Reload?

Posted by: BeeDee | Date: 2010-05-17 18:10 | IP: IP Logged

This could be happening because programs are incorrectly changing the Last Modified Date for some reason. (or is PSPad using some other value or process to decide if a file has been modified by another program?)

My guess is that that is how editors are checking for the file being modified by another program. If that is true, there's nothing you can do.

A safety check would be (for PSPad) to perform a (good, long) checksum on the file, as well, and save that. Then, if it looks like the file has been modified, do another checksum on it, just to be sure, and compare those.

I wish FTP supported that as a quick and easy way to tell if files have been modified without having to download them. (because sometimes modified date and time and file length don't always cut it)

#7 Re: File Contents were Changed. Reload?

Posted by: jd | Date: 2010-05-19 23:20 | IP: IP Logged

This problem only arises in the beta version of PSPad. The regular version has no problems. So the cause of the problem would appear to be something that has changed in PSPad.

I would really like to run the beta version but since I use the Preview window all the time, it is too painful to do so. Really hoping for a fix for this issue!

#8 Re: File Contents were Changed. Reload?

Posted by: barumpus | Date: 2010-05-20 16:04 | IP: IP Logged

I am using pspad 4.5.4 (2356) and running into this issue all the time. Pretty annoying and also the loss of very useful functionality!

- windows 7 64 bit
- the files are on network drives accessed via UNC path

repro steps are difficult to figure out. problem is intermittent, but definitely a key step is switching away from pspad then going back. Sometimes going back immediately (less than one second) does not trigger the dialog, but sometimes it does.

Barumpus
p.s. Thank you for such a fabulous editor!

#9 Re: File Contents were Changed. Reload?

Posted by: jd | Date: 2010-05-21 20:04 | IP: IP Logged

For me the problem is consistent and reproducible.

#10 Re: File Contents were Changed. Reload?

Posted by: massimobalestra | Date: 2010-05-26 19:21 | IP: IP Logged

I have windows 7 and I don't see the problem.

I did as you said and the popup "File Contents were Changed. Reload" appears only if I really change and save in notepad.

For me it works great.

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next

Editor PSPad - freeware editor, © 2001 - 2024 Jan Fiala, Hosted by Webhosting TOJEONO.CZ, design by WebDesign PAY & SOFT, code Petr Dvořák, Privacy policy and GDPR