You are here: PSPad forum > English discussion forum > Column mode like UE ?

Column mode like UE ?

#1 Column mode like UE ?

Posted by: skugler | Date: 11/02/2009 10:38 | IP: IP Logged

Hello, I am new in using the pspad tool.
Is there also a function like Alt-C in UE?
I read that in the editor pspad you can use Alt+I but this is not like the column mod in UE.
Could someone can give me a hint?
Thanks.
Ragards Steffen

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2009 10:38 by skugler.

Options: Reply | Quote | Up ^

#2 Re: Column mode like UE ?

Posted by: StickyNomad | Date: 11/02/2009 12:42 | IP: IP Logged

Just press ALT while selecting the text with the mouse.

Maybe you have to activate this setting first:
settings > program settings > editor [part 1] > 'ALT sets column mode', I don't know if it's enabled by default.

#3 Re: Column mode like UE ?

Posted by: skugler | Date: 11/02/2009 15:08 | IP: IP Logged

ok thanks...yes this was possible...
but is it also possible to mark the different lines like Alt+Mouse and
key in e.g. a letter or word and then this will be keyed in all selected lines?
e.g. you have a statement and need a word in front of all
lines or statements...now you only make a line over 30 statements and type in only one time this word but on each line the word or letter is written.
in UE this is possible....smiling smiley

#4 Re: Column mode like UE ?

Posted by: mtanguay | Date: 03/02/2011 22:07 | IP: IP Logged

Is there any possibility that this feature will be implemented. PSPad is awesome, but this feature is a real must, and is available in all good text editors.

#5 Re: Column mode like UE ?

Posted by: myf | Date: 03/03/2011 09:43 | IP: IP Logged

skugler:
ok thanks...yes this was possible...
but is it also possible to mark the different lines like Alt+Mouse and
key in e.g. a letter or word and then this will be keyed in all selected lines?
e.g. you have a statement and need a word in front of all
lines or statements...now you only make a line over 30 statements and type in only one time this word but on each line the word or letter is written.
in UE this is possible....smiling smiley

I can't fully understand what exactly want, but have a look at these hints, maybe some of them would satisfy your needs :]

- ctrl+shift+c = set selection mode to 'COLUMN'
- ctrl+shift+n = set selection mode to 'NORMAL'
- f8 = cursor: start of selection
- f8 again = cursor: end of selection
- you can do replacements within selection; this option is set automagically if you call ctrl+h dialogue while your selection spans across more lines)
- there is quite fancy "insert text into lines" functionality (Main menu > Edit > Lines manipulation). Honestly, I've never used it, but maybe it would have saved me some global replacements.
- if you are asking for 'discrete selection' (several selection 'islands'), PSPad cannot do this.
- if you want to "add some string before all occurrences of another string", replace dialogue is your only friend.

#6 Re: Column mode like UE ?

Posted by: mtanguay | Date: 03/03/2011 14:29 | IP: IP Logged

To be clear, here is an example :

i_wb_rst : in std_logic;
o_wb_rst : out std_logic;
o_wb_clk : out std_logic;
o_wb_cyc : out std_logic;

Now let's say I want to replace the ":" by a "<=". I would like to be able to replace it in column mode where the column would be the selection of all the ":".

I tried your suggestion, but it only replaces the first one when I type. So the column selecion looks to be working, but if you type it replaces the text only on the first line selected.

The previous threads were talking about UltraEdit (UE) supporting it, but almost all the text editor I've used in the past had this feature.

Can you look at it ?

#7 Re: Column mode like UE ?

Posted by: myf | Date: 03/03/2011 15:55 | IP: IP Logged

mtanguay:
To be clear, here is an example :

i_wb_rst : in std_logic;
o_wb_rst : out std_logic;
o_wb_clk : out std_logic;
o_wb_cyc : out std_logic;

Now let's say I want to replace the ":" by a "<=". I would like to be able to replace it in column mode where the column would be the selection of all the ":".

I tried your suggestion, but it only replaces the first one when I type. So the column selecion looks to be working, but if you type it replaces the text only on the first line selected.

The previous threads were talking about UltraEdit (UE) supporting it, but almost all the text editor I've used in the past had this feature.

Can you look at it ?

Strange, I tried it, and I get all occurances of ":" within column selection correctly replaced with "<=". I tried to fiddle with "forward/backward" replacement direction and could not reproduce the "only one occurance repaced" issue you described. I am using version 4.5.5.(2415).

#8 Re: Column mode like UE ?

Posted by: mtanguay | Date: 03/03/2011 19:26 | IP: IP Logged

I'm sorry, I forgot the Ctrl+H command in your procedure. Now it works, but that is not the way I expected.

Normally in other text editors, when the column mode is active, you can select a column, and just type text and the text is inserted on all lines of the column selected. Hope my explanation is clear now...

Can PSPad do this ? I'm sure it is a pretty simple feature that could be added. I saw that there were many threads were people were asking this...

#9 Re: Column mode like UE ?

Posted by: myf | Date: 03/04/2011 08:13 | IP: IP Logged

mtanguay:
Normally in other text editors, when the column mode is active, you can select a column, and just type text and the text is inserted on all lines of the column selected. Hope my explanation is clear now...

OIC, I got it. And sadly, PSPad cannot do this. As far as I have seen, PSPad is not able to propagate typing input into several places at once, and I guess its text component is not even capable of this (dunno). If you desperately need that, you may try to raise a feature request.

Editor PSPad - freeware editor, © 2001 - 2014 Jan Fiala
Hosted by Webhosting TOJEONO.CZ, design by WebDesign PAY & SOFT, code Petr Dvořák