You are here: PSPad forum > English discussion forum > Re: File Locking

Re: File Locking

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 Next

#1 File Locking

Posted by: muchtall | Date: 2008-05-29 17:39 | IP: IP Logged

Is there any way that I can tell PSPad to check for and set an exclusive lock on a txt file when it is opened? The purpose of this would be that if I have 2 developers working on the same files on a network share, and a file is already opened by the first developer, the second developer receives a notice that the file is not available for write access, but can be opened read-only.

For an example of this behavior, open a txt file in Word, then try to open it again in Excel. Excel will respond before the file opens stating "File.txt is locked for editing by 'John Doe'".

It appears that this happens using Windows built-in file locking mechanisms, however I'd be happy with something like the VIM method of file locking, where a hidden backup file is created with a .swp extension when the original file is opened.

Options: Reply | Quote | Up ^

#2 Re: File Locking

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2008-05-29 18:01 | IP: IP Logged

You are right, ofice creates another hidden file, what tell there is a lock.
I can use similar mechanism, if more users want such functionality

#3 Re: File Locking

Posted by: papi | Date: 2008-06-01 10:04 | IP: IP Logged

Earlier I was not thinking about this, but now I think it is a good idea.

But at the first time, maybe with an option to swith on or off.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-06-01 10:05 by papi.

#4 Re: File Locking

Posted by: douweikkuh | Date: 2008-06-01 10:45 | IP: IP Logged

This is actually a good idea!
This option for Live-FTP (that's what I call it) should be even better, but I don't think that's possible.

#5 Re: File Locking

Posted by: dhohmann | Date: 2014-02-07 10:22 | IP: IP Logged

Hello Jan,

we desperatly need a file locking mechanism!
As our company changed from XP to 7 in the last months, PSPad became now the standard editor for more than 100 people.
The problem that I already stated here last year - two or more user working on the same file - has now become even more serious, as the number of interferences increased.

File locking is VERY important for us!
It would be an enormous help for us to have a solution on this problem.

Greetings
Dirk

#6 Re: File Locking

Posted by: firplo | Date: 2014-03-13 13:45 | IP: IP Logged

Dirk (or anyone), have you found an alternative text editor that provides file locking? The only one I can find is Ultraedit, but I'd prefer to find a cheaper solution. I'm using it with a colleague to edit a log file, and we don't always know if the other person has it open, and thus have lost changes due to overwriting.

Thanks.

#7 Re: File Locking

Posted by: dhohmann | Date: 2014-04-25 14:11 | IP: IP Logged

Hello firplo,

MultiEdit provides file locking, but the program is very expensive (in my opinion).

PSPad meets our requirements very well - the only major problem is that PSPad doesn't provide file locking!

#8 Re: File Locking

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2014-04-25 14:16 | IP: IP Logged

What system does Multiedit use for file locking?

#9 Re: File Locking

Posted by: therium | Date: 2014-04-28 11:14 | IP: IP Logged

Yes, I also need file locking. It's really bad to lose 2 hours of work just because the file wasn't locked, and changes were over written by someone else.

#10 Re: File Locking

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2014-04-28 13:26 | IP: IP Logged

The question is, if more people work on the same files if some CVS system isn't better solution.
PSPad can offer simple locking - if you will try to open file edited by somebody else, it will display information that xxxx is editing the file and open it as readonly.

Try to think about situation if somebody is editing file, lock is created and the one is disconnected. How long should be file locked?
In this situation the one who create lock can continue editing when is connected again.
But the second must manually delete lock file if the first one can't connect.

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 Next

Editor PSPad - freeware editor, © 2001 - 2024 Jan Fiala, Hosted by Webhosting TOJEONO.CZ, design by WebDesign PAY & SOFT, code Petr Dvořák, Privacy policy and GDPR