You are here: PSPad forum > English discussion forum > 'search / replace in files' results : highlight, resize, security

'search / replace in files' results : highlight, resize, security

#1 'search / replace in files' results : highlight, resize, security

Posted by: Lucien | Date: 2017-06-26 13:11 | IP: IP Logged

Hello,

I've updated PSPad to 4.6.2 (windows 8.1 64 bits)

About the bottom result area : 'search in files' :

*is there any chance that the searched text occurences will be highlighted in this area, in future PSPad versions ?
(as it used to be in the past, with a case-insensitivity issue if I remember well)

*the resizing zone of this bottom area is invisible (not contrasted), and I need to resize it often, I have to hover randomly to see the resizing cursor appear.
Is it just a problem with my windows color theme ?

*I consider the 'replace in files' very dangerous as it can't be undone, and does not create a backup file, especially when affecting a folder (and subfolders).
>'replace in files' *within a folder* could be completely deactived and hidden, as a program option.
>'replace in files' *in open files* could have an undo system (clicking undo would then undo all replacements at once in this file, like the 'replace' function)
>'replace in files' *in project files* could have a backup system (since it is your project, dropping a '.pspbak' file there seems acceptable)
Just ideas...

thanks for this very good freeware nevertheless.

Options: Reply | Quote | Up ^

#2 Re: 'search / replace in files' results : highlight, resize, security

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2017-06-27 05:30 | IP: IP Logged

1) I will add highlighting results into ToDo

2) I will check it. You can simple use arrows in the right corner of LOG area. It will allows you quickly increase/decrease height of LOG window.

3) Replace in files work in files on disk, not in open files. Yes, it's a dangerous operation and this is the reason, why user must check option before replace field if he want replace. Replace in open files changes file content on the disk followed by refresh of open files. There is no UNDO.

As optional can be file backup before replace possibility.
But as first I must finish possibility to create several backups with timestamps.

#3 Re: 'search / replace in files' results : highlight, resize, security

Posted by: Lucien | Date: 2017-06-28 13:55 | IP: IP Logged

Thanks for the response.

1) Highlighting results in result window existed in old PSPad versions, however there were issues at that time :
I think only the first matching item on each line was highlighted,
and this highlighting was not case-sensitive (even if the search was correctly executed as case-sensitive)

> searching in files 'aaa', case-sensitive, would find the line : 'AAA bbb aaa aaa', but would highlight only 'AAA'
Hope this can now be made to work correctly, highlighting the two 'aaa' and not the 'AAA'

3) I understand that the 'REPLACE in files' issue is a complex one.
At least being able to disable the REPLACE *within a folder* scope, as a program option, would make me more less afraid of a bad click.

4) Another small glitch : 'search / replace in files' > 'text to find' > combobox of last searches
This combobox (TTntComboBox.UnicodeClass, instance 5) is not completely case-sensitive.
Example :
create a new file, type 'aaa AAA'
select 'aaa' in file text, open 'search / replace in files', execute search (this store 'aaa' in the combobox list)
select 'AAA' in file text, open 'search / replace in files'
> 'aaa' is preselected in the combobox, because it matches without case-sensitivity 'AAA', the selected text.

now, type 'AAA' in the text to 'search / replace in files', execute search
select 'aaa' in file text, open 'search / replace in files'
> at that point 'aaa' and 'AAA' are both stored in the combobox list of last searches
> but 'AAA' is preselected in the combobox, because it is the most recent match without case-sensitivity for 'aaa', the selected text.

Case-sensitivity of matching item stored in a combobox list might depend on the langage you are using, so you may not be able to change this default behavior.
However you may be able to force the correct text (the text currently selected in the file) in the associated Edit control, instance 4.
(I spied on the controls inside the 'search / replace in files' dialog by using the AutoIt/Au3Info.exe and Nirsoft/WinExplorer.exe tools)

Sorry for the length, it's difficult to be clear without the necessary details.
I'm using PSPad a lot for amateur programming (VBS, AutoIt, some game langages for AI scripts), so if it can be improved it's all the better.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-28 13:56 by Lucien.

Editor PSPad - freeware editor, © 2001 - 2024 Jan Fiala, Hosted by Webhosting TOJEONO.CZ, design by WebDesign PAY & SOFT, code Petr Dvořák, Privacy policy and GDPR