You are here: PSPad forum > English discussion forum > Fortunately I am not going mad with opened files

Fortunately I am not going mad with opened files

Goto Page: 1 2 3 Next

#1 Fortunately I am not going mad with opened files

Posted by: Esgrimidor | Date: 2017-04-07 11:57 | IP: IP Logged

I have made a post in the past. Sorry because I have been not able to locate about a strange and sui generis problem or incident with pspad and windows 8.1

In the laptop if I modify a txt file and try to save while I am using that file in a script that open that file I receive a warning that the file is in use and don't let me save.

But in the desktop don't until I installed the very last version to solve my problem with a ghost window.

forum.pspad.com

Now all seems to return to normality...

Best Regards

--
Nice program indeed

Options: Reply | Quote | Up ^

#2 Re: Fortunately I am not going mad with opened files

Posted by: Esgrimidor | Date: 2017-04-09 11:14 | IP: IP Logged

The strange thing again is that with notepad++ don't obtain the same response.

BTW. I am seeing from the task bar the pspad icon in other colour.

Is because is a beta version or something ?

Best Regards

--
Nice program indeed

#3 Re: Fortunately I am not going mad with opened files

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2017-04-09 14:19 | IP: IP Logged

Notepad++ is different program, written using different programming language, different compiler.

Regards to icon. Yes, I decided to use different icon, cause many users want to keep current PSPad 4 and test version 5 together. This will give them possibility to see on the first look which version are they using.
Maybe I will keep it and deve,loper build will have gray icon and full releases blue icon.

#4 Re: Fortunately I am not going mad with opened files

Posted by: Esgrimidor | Date: 2017-04-10 10:54 | IP: IP Logged

understood.
I am fond of pspad.

But what is the best final "state" or configuration ?

In the prior version when I save a txt file open by one of my scripts I receive no warning when save (but really don't save the last version of a modified txt file).

Idem with notepad..

IN the last version I received a remind that the file is not saved because is opened by a script....
With notepad idem as above.

Modifying the file from notepad and pspad may be a mesh. Sometimes notepad warn to reload the file , but not always.

So I have the file opened both sides while interacting with my script....

So I prefer the warning about saving. Just because the script in execution only reach the registers (or process only the registers or lines in the txt file) that were in the moment the execution began. All modifications a posteriori are not considered by my script.

With the prior version I think sometimes while saving again and again while the script was executing produces a "jump" . But I am not sure and prefer not going mad with this......

Best Regards

--
Nice program indeed

#5 Re: Fortunately I am not going mad with opened files

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2017-04-10 11:00 | IP: IP Logged

Esgrimidor:
understood.
I am fond of pspad.

But what is the best final "state" or configuration ?

In the prior version when I save a txt file open by one of my scripts I receive no warning when save (but really don't save the last version of a modified txt file).

Idem with notepad..

IN the last version I received a remind that the file is not saved because is opened by a script....
With notepad idem as above.

Modifying the file from notepad and pspad may be a mesh. Sometimes notepad warn to reload the file , but not always.

So I have the file opened both sides while interacting with my script....

So I prefer the warning about saving. Just because the script in execution only reach the registers (or process only the registers or lines in the txt file) that were in the moment the execution began. All modifications a posteriori are not considered by my script.

With the prior version I think sometimes while saving again and again while the script was executing produces a "jump" . But I am not sure and prefer not going mad with this......

Best Regards

If you open file with script (I don't know how do you open it, if you open it again or you work with editor object). When you work with file on the background, you should reload PSPad open file content. If you don't do it, you will work with "old content".

What does your script do?
If you would work with editor object and lines or text, PSPad will correctly mark file as modified.

#6 Re: Fortunately I am not going mad with opened files

Posted by: Esgrimidor | Date: 2017-04-10 21:01 | IP: IP Logged

The script scan line by line the txt file adding these lines to registers in my CRM Goldmine 5.5 (an old version).
Sometimes I continue documenting and adding more lines to that txt file.
Suppose the txt file have 50 lines when opening the script to append one by one these registers to the CRM.
If meanwhile I add 30 registers more the script will stop in 50 as expected.

I use a pspad project with 8 txt files for this purpose while documenting works.
So I save from time to time.
In the old versions of pspad when save receive a warning in the opened txt file while my script mantain opened the txt file.
With the prior version I received no warning.
Now with the last version I received again the warning.

What is the expected behavior ?

--
Nice program indeed

#7 Re: Fortunately I am not going mad with opened files

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2017-04-10 21:23 | IP: IP Logged

What is exact message in the warning?

#8 Re: Fortunately I am not going mad with opened files

Posted by: Esgrimidor | Date: 2017-04-12 11:56 | IP: IP Logged

I don't find the original post I did about my problem.

This is the error message or warning :

imagizer.imageshack.com

Best Regards

--
Nice program indeed

#9 Re: Fortunately I am not going mad with opened files

Posted by: pspad | Date: 2017-04-12 12:29 | IP: IP Logged

Esgrimidor:
I don't find the original post I did about my problem.

This is the error message or warning :

imagizer.imageshack.com

Best Regards

It means you open files manually in your script?
How do you do it?
Can you write me, what are you doing in one post? It will spare time both of us.
Try to write it I would be able to repeat it and get your message in the final.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-12 12:38 by pspad.

#10 Re: Fortunately I am not going mad with opened files

Posted by: Esgrimidor | Date: 2017-04-12 20:45 | IP: IP Logged

When I execute the script ask me for the file I want to open.
Once is open begin to add registers to Goldmine in manual mode, giving me the option to reject the addition if the register already exists.

The interesting thing is this :
pspad interprets the file is opened and don't allow to save it when I modify addind some lines to the text file.

notepad interprets the file is not opened and allow to resave or save.

In the last case the saving is not real and the modifications after the script is adding registers are not save. The script stops in the initial pack of lines, not include in any case the lines added.

prior version of pspad interprets the file is not opened and allow to resave or save (not real save).

Older versions of pspad interprets the file is opened and don't allow to save .... (the same warning I put above).

The interesting think is what you think of all this and what is the way you want for pspad as final.

But not change from version to version, because that is annoying for the user.

The only remaining thing i can do is put here the code of the script made with autoit.

Best Regards

p.D. Sorry if i am not enough clear.

--
Nice program indeed

Goto Page: 1 2 3 Next

Editor PSPad - freeware editor, © 2001 - 2024 Jan Fiala, Hosted by Webhosting TOJEONO.CZ, design by WebDesign PAY & SOFT, code Petr Dvořák, Privacy policy and GDPR